Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Late DE Shotgun Season >

Late DE Shotgun Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Late DE Shotgun Season

Old 01-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Late DE Shotgun Season

Ok. How many other crazy people like me will be up in a tree Saturday morning come sunrise in 20 below wind chills? Im hoping the deer will be frozen to my corn piles, but nothing else has gone right this year, so why should it change now with 2 weeks left in the season. Gotta try right?? [8D]
Old 01-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late DE Shotgun Season

Scott you can take it to the bank I will not be up a tree unless a heat wave comes thru here soon, I cannot stand cold weather as I get older.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Ron,

If you happen to drive down Rt 6 anytime after 9:30am and see my truck still parked by the edge of the field, please call someone to come drag my frozen carcass outta the woods!

If you stay home, you are alot smarter than I, but I've been at this since 9/1. 1/31 is right around the corner. Gotta give it a couple hours. If not Saturday, I'll celebrate Dr. Kings B'day in the stand in the PM. Next couple weekends as well. Gun, Bow, whatever it takes. I dont have the energy to charge out everyday like in Sept, but when the weekends come, I gotta be there.

Good Luck to all!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:04 AM

I Like the cold weather if we had some snow it would be perfect. I think I will be hunting in the evenings, the deer are herded up and feeding at night this time of year in Sussex county. I will be useing the muzzleloader, I like to shoot long with the muzzleloader. It will be snot freezing cold in the morning, so dress in layers to keep warm and good luck.Oldsnow
Old 01-16-2004, 04:57 PM

think i'm going to pass tomorrow morning. I'm like duckmastor i've been going at it since sept 1, may put in a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:21 AM

It wasnt that cold this morning. 16 Degrees when I got to the field. 10 degrees warmer than last weeks goose hunt.

Was in the stand by 6:25am. The following came to the corn:

1. Birds
2. Squirrels
3. Raccoons
4. Red Foxes

The only thing that didnt show was deer. No shots from the surrounding farms but a couple miles to the north I did hear a fair amount of shooting beween 7 and 8am. 6 different rounds. 4 '1 shot dead' type shots and 2 'Uh Oh, he's getting away, blast 5 rounds as quick as you can' type shots. So at least some people got some deer this morning.

Next try MLK Day afternoon as long as the winds good.

How'd everyone else do?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Well Duck, I kinda hate to tell ya but I got a real nice 9 piont MLK night. He came out last after a spike and a young six. Always seems funny to see them back in bachalor groups when it is a gun season. Hope you get some luck soon!

DJ
Old 01-21-2004, 05:33 AM

Good Job DJ! Dont be sorry telling me you got one. I like hearing about people getting deer. Esp nice ones!

I stayed home MLK day. After what I saw saturday morning, I just couldnt get up for it. It seems very few deer are using the farm I hunt. There was no sign that deer were hitting the corn I put out. I even put a small pile out in the field, right on the trail they'd used earlier in the year. The squirrels dont venture out that far in fear of being snatched up by hawks, owls etc. So, only larger animals would hit that. Well, it didnt look like it'd been hardly touched. With this cold and lack of food around, the deer should have gobbled it up if they were passing through on a regular basis.

I wasnt about to go down at noon to stand in line for a lottery for a public stand knowing that they wouldnt move until last light, if at all. Next year I need to ask around and see if I can access to at least one more private spot. Just to keep the old options open. I do plan on hiking down the old lighthouse rd like you suggested in the spring. Thats a large plot of land thats open during all seasons with no lottery. Just a hell of a drag though if you get one.

As long as it doesnt rain, Im definately going Saturday afternoon. Maybe my luck will change...... but I doubt it
Old 01-24-2004, 08:22 PM

My father and I hunted the leased place this evening. I hunted my usual stand and I put him in a make shift ground blind I put together with our Xmas tree and other downed trees the weekend before. Its the same place I put him all the way back on 9/1 for bow.

At 4:30pm about 125yds across the frozen woods from my stand I saw 2 does working around looking for food. All the sudden, their tails go up and they scamper off. I'm thinkin 'man their jumpy'. The reason why appeared 1 minute later in the form of a small buck. Nose to the ground following the trail. They were not coming my way, but I was encouraged by seeing deer movement with still over an hour of shooting time remaining.

Just as the sun dipped below the horizon, I heard my dad shoot. Packed up and headed over to his spot. He got a nice bodied 5 pt. Small horns but a nice sized body. Probably weighs 125lbs. Not bad at all.

Thats 2 for him this season! I have next saturday to try and get one myself. It'll be with the bow. May hunt in NJ though. All depends on my dads scouting reports and the weather.

Im just happy that the family has 2 deer in the fridge. Esp happy my dad got one from the leased place. With all the time I've put into that place this year, it makes it all worth while!

1 week left guys!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 AM

hey guys i went out yesterday wiith my dad..got there about 11 set up about 11 30 and my dad drove the woods and 2 minutes into the drive i had 12 deer comu within 10 yds of me and i busted the closest 1..we had to follow his blood trail a good ways but i was sure happy when we finally got him...my first deer(button buck)..early 14th birthday present(this thursday)...ill go back next saturady and try to double my luck

Quick Reply: Late DE Shotgun Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.