HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   OMG!!! 17 Point Buck....... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/49263-omg-17-point-buck.html)

CatskillHuntr 01-13-2004 11:14 AM

OMG!!! 17 Point Buck.......

I was out yesterday doing some winter bowhunting at Allaire State Park here in NJ. After about 2 hours on stand a few does started to mill around and come out of some thickets I was hunting near, when all of a sudden I hear this racket. I turn to look and here comes this monster buck weaving his way through the brush. He headed straight for the does, and was scent checking them all. Guess a few of the ladies might have been in estrous. Never got a chance at a shot as park rangers on horse back came riding through about 15 minutes later and spooked them off....

He must have been about 20-24" wide and tall tines too. G2's must have been 10" long...

after that i near fainted!

mikej92280 01-13-2004 08:43 PM

RE: OMG!!! 17 Point Buck.......

Didnt them rangers have anything better to do like scrape squirrles of the road or somethin?

greenbunch 01-14-2004 11:42 AM

Wow, thats quite a buck. I pass that area all the time on my way down to the Marina. Is'nt that the Bow only area ? Looks good and I see people parked on the road. I thought they were mountain bikers.

BowHunterChris 01-17-2004 12:59 PM

That has to be in the bow hunting only area. That area looks good and I'm going to have to get into there. I hunt in another part of Allaire State park and tend to see nothing for days there. The gun hunters I think have stirred that area up way to much. Had baited a spot down there, and now the deer don't even come to the bait anymore. The bow hunting only area is big. Plenty of woods in there. I don't know how many of those trucks you see are hunters, I see many guys getting their mountain bikes off their trucks.

greenbunch 01-18-2004 08:32 AM

Chris, I dug up my Allaire map and I guess you are hunting the piece by Hurley pond rd. I see the bow only piece is off of herbertsville rd and looks pretty large. Thats where I see quite a few people parking. I bet by the golf course is pretty good.

BowHunterChris 01-18-2004 01:48 PM

I do hunt the part that is off of Hurley pond rd. I've noticed a few bad things about that area. Early in the season, it's not to bad, lots of sign and you'll see deer out there. Once gun season hits, it's all over. It seems the deer get real smart and run across the road and won't come back on the hunting side untill later at night. A lot of deer get hit on Hurley pond. They travel back and forth. I'm going to be leaving that area soon and learning the bow hunting only area. I'll hunt that area next season. I've heard of some monsters on the golf course. Just a matter of finding them in the woods!

greenbunch 01-19-2004 08:10 AM

Yeah, I am going to check out the bow only piece also. I also see guys hunting by the Marina where I keep my boat off of ridge rd. Do you know if this is part of Allaire ? It's got some green fields and I see guys parking in a couple of lots by the fields. The area I'm talking about is across from Brick municiple center on ridge rd. Looks like it might be worth checking out.

BowHunterChris 01-19-2004 09:32 PM

I know where your talking about but forgot about that spot. I know of a lot of places out there that look good. I'm going to have to get out there and scout that all out from now through September.