Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Here's something we can all agree on.. >

Here's something we can all agree on..

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Here's something we can all agree on..

Old 01-11-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Here's something we can all agree on..

that this is a group of morons. As reported in today's 1/11/04 Allentown paper "The Morning Call" (www.mcall.com) that a group called the Eastern Cougar Foundation is calling for the restoration of cougars to eastern North America. Besides keeping the mountain bikers and hikers out of the woods, the cougar's #1 prey are deer.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here's something we can all agree on..

Haven't they learned from what happened in Cali?? Guess not.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:51 PM

I don't think the guy in Cali got attacked by a cougar. Only a few scratches?? He would have been missing his head, If we are thinking of the same incident.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 AM

just what we need another animal that will run out into the road so it can get hit by a semi! whats wrong with these people?? how long has it been since cougars have roamed free in the north east? the farmers will never let it happen , even though they kill deer, when a cat can't find a deer it will go after the farmers nice easy fenced in livestock!
Old 01-12-2004, 05:11 AM

A few scratches? The news report I heard, said, to put it politely, "he was severly disfigured". Mybe you're confusing him with the female mountainbiker, who survived.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read the article too Mike and found it interesting that there was a reported sighting right at Bake Oven Knob back in '96. I hope not as I hunt near there on occasion....
Old 01-12-2004, 08:10 AM

This sounds similar to the arguements that I read in the latest American Hunter, decrying the re-introduction of wolves in the American west. As hunters we must be first conservationists. Since when does it make sense to selectively conserve? Just because the re-introduction of a species to its native range is *inconvenient* to local hunting interests doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad idea. Outfitters and guides out west are having a problem because they say elk populations are declining in the areas where there are wolves. Population fluctuation is natural. With no higher predators, populations are artificially imbalanced, and we run around claiming how great the hunting is, base business off of it, and develop problems when it starts to naturalize? C'mon. Now, if I'm wrong on the biology part of this, please let me know.

Now, that said, I'm not a fan of cougar reintroduction because of safety issues.

Don't you dare accuse this of being "anti". This is ONLY a devil's advocate position.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct Mike! This is definately something that we can agree on.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 PM

Don't you think that maybe there's a good reason certain species are no longer around? How about clonning some saber-tooth tigers and letting them roam the woods.[X(]
Old 01-12-2004, 03:18 PM

I have to say when did humans become God and decide what goes were? All animals have a right to be here, if a person doesn't like wildlife or is afraid of certain monsters, then don't go into the woods. Saber tooth died because its prey died,(and other natural reasons) cougars were killed off by us, big difference. What is suppose to happen.... only put animals in the woods that won't hurt us? Lets all live in lolly pop land and dream of pretty followers and happy talking winnie pooh bears. When we go into the woods we need to have respect, next everyone will be saying kill all the bears all they ever do is get into camps and go after people. I don't see a problem with putting wild life were it belongs as long as there is conservation done. One of the problems in Cali is because of the fires, these animals are being forced to do what they need in order to survive. Half the time these creatures are released back into there old stomping ground and no one see's them except for the scientist watching them. I would be more interested in learning about what they want to do instead of just jumping into a conclusion. We keep screwing with the balance of things and all that happens is trouble just like out west. Take away the wolf and the herd population of elk deer etc.. gets to big then throw in some nasty coyotes and things even get more out of hand. There as got to be away for humans and wildlife to live. Sorry I do not agree folks but we are slowly killing off all nature when do we stop? Who decides what animals should or shouldn't be? Lets not forget it was our ancesters who almost brought the Buffalo and other critters to extinction. One more thing more folks are killed by deer then any other animal so maybe we should just kill them off.

Quick Reply: Here's something we can all agree on..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.