Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Running outta gas >

Running outta gas

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Running outta gas

Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Running outta gas

I dont know about you all, but I'm gettin a little burned out. As I sit here at 20 of 10 on a friday, looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow, I just cant get up for the hunt. Been hunting since 9/1, scouting and preparing since July and now looking again at southerly winds and warm weather. The woods I hunt are flooded bogs and the deer have been presured hard. Yestreday afternoon, although the wind was good for my leased stand I couldnt make the hour drive down knowing I would most likely see nothing, let alone getting a shot. If I hunt the spots that are good for a SW wind tomorrow morning, it would be a slow walk through knee deep water, knowing that most likely all the deer are well ahead of me, well into the meadows and untouchable. I think I'll sleep in.

Call me a quitter if you want. People that know me know better. I'll hunt the last days of the season when weather permits, even knowing that it pretty much luck at this late in the game with the bow.

I was just wondering if anyone else was feeling the same frustration?

God Bless.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Running outta gas

Scott. I personally know you have been at it for awhile. I quit long ago, might try it again after the 17th, but you have more perservence than I, but you are younger too, and you might be getting disgusted but you are no quitter.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:16 AM

Scott, It can get frustrating at times...if it ain't fun, sit it out for awhile. The weather has been foul! This warm SW crap needs to end soon! Looks like next weekend could be a winner. They are calling for it to get a might bit cold! Good luck!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree if it turns into feeling like work, take a breather. I fight this every season myself . What has helped me is I try to get a different piece of property to hunt for the last 2 weeks. It kinda rejuvinates you being in a different area.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Duck I'm right there with ya. been at it since Nov 1 and still haven't tagged It's gettin old however take a break and come back again another day.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:02 AM

The deer are more likely to move now with the warmer weather. If its 20-25 degrees or colder I dont even bother. Come on you guys should know this.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

You aint a quitter! You probably just need a break! Been there done that. It's amazing how bad you wanna get back at it after just a voluntary day or two off!!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Come on Duck we got about a month of chasin' left. Feel your pain though, been hunting a new area for the last three days and they havent shown. I know they are there just dont want to got poked with a sharp stick I guess. Take a few days and got on them. Like some other guys have said around this site...YOU CAN'T GET EM' FROM THE COUCH.

DJ
Old 01-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always get kind of "burnt out" by this time each year--actually a little earlier than this. Here in MD, once the gun season begin, there's about 5 weeks of heavy pressure on the deer and, after that, you're lucky to even see a deer--much less a buck. And the big guys are LONG GONE! Kinda hard to get pumped up for that!

I hunted a few days with my bow during gun season, but have pretty much decided to wait a couple weeks for patterns to return to some semblance of normalcy.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:18 PM

I feel the same way Duck..... I only have until Saturday and since I don't have a flintlok I gotta settle for bow or shotgun in a special regulations area. Here at home where I hunt there is nothing moving and no one else hunting. The deer have a pattern now and know to go where the hunters are not. The only way to score now is to be lucky to be in the place where they decide to bed in the morning. If I hunted from a treestand I might score but I am stuck on the ground. Now if I go to the shotgun area it is a definite waste of time. The last two times I went I didn't see anything at all and there is very little sign of anything moving. I could go to a place where I can actually use the rifle but it is a two hour drive and I didn't see anything the last time I went. If I knew I would see some action then maybe I could get excited about it.
I was out Saturday and was totally drenched and coated with mud from the knees down. All I seen were squirrels but I did find a half-chewed antler from a probable 8-point. Big deal....
I'm praying for snow. I think that's the only way I'm gonna see any deer movement....
I'm now planning on where to build a couple of treestands for next year...