Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CAUGHT HUNTER TAKEN MY TREESTAND IN NEW JERSEY >

CAUGHT HUNTER TAKEN MY TREESTAND IN NEW JERSEY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CAUGHT HUNTER TAKEN MY TREESTAND IN NEW JERSEY

Old 12-21-2003, 10:09 AM

Default RE: CAUGHT HUNTER TAKEN MY TREESTAND IN NEW JERSEY

Just curious, what is the guy being charged with??

why would you charge someone for finding something just laying there. i would feel some sympathy for bowhuntercop if his stand was on private land, or even if the stand was still hanging. i say bowhuntercop is lucky he got his stand back, maybe this is a lesson for him to take better care of his equipment.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BEING CHARGED? AND YES I AGREE I'M LUCKY FOR GETTING MY STAND BACK!!!

IF CAUGHT THE GUY RED HANDED WITH MY STAND, AND I CAN PROVE THAT I OWN THE STAND LIKE MY NAME ENGRAVED ON IT, THEN I WOULD OF ARRESTED HIM ON THE SPOT FOR STOLEN PROPERTY, SIMPLE AS THAT. IF ANYONE IS LUCKY ITS THAT A**HOLE, YOU SEE MY STAND HIS REPLACEABLE, HE'S LUCKY I DIDN'T ARREST HIM, OR HE WOULD OF BEEN IN MORE TROUBLE THEN ONE WOULD THINK, STATE, LOCAL AND FEDERAL CHARGES SINCE THIS TOOK PLACE ON FEDERAL LAND.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

he did in deed steal the stand in my opinion. he moved the stand and re- burried it. if i stole from the bank and burried the money and came back am i guilty or if you ditch the goods from a robbery and come back are you off the hook[>:] AKA- you sound like a guy who has never experienced a stolen stand or the antics of the slob hunter. if i leave the woods and go for lunch and come back and my stand is gone its my fault but it shouldnt get stolen in the first place! i always look at things from many angles. some of my ladder stands weigh like 50 plus pounds so to drag them in out all the time is ridiculous. i do chain them up and they still get stolen. what ever happen to honest people with a back bone. its not fun when it happens. my heart sinks and i have to question quitting hunting all together if the people out there hunting with me are scum like that!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

I had a stand stolen this year on private property. It was a nice ladder stand, but I just hadnt hunted in it for 2 years, due to other stands in the vicinity, and was going to move it this offseason. I sat in it on a MON. for a change of scenery and went back the next day...gone. Even had it chained and locked. That really made me mad.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 AM

IF CAUGHT THE GUY RED HANDED WITH MY STAND, AND I CAN PROVE THAT I OWN THE STAND LIKE MY NAME ENGRAVED ON IT, THEN I WOULD OF ARRESTED HIM ON THE SPOT FOR STOLEN PROPERTY,
if you caugh the guys red handed doing what? finding a treestand in a garbage bag? or using the tree stand that he found in a garbage bag. it wouldnt have been stolen property, it would have been found property. you, being a cop should know that and you being a cop should know that a judge would laugh at you trying to press charges on this guy. your post says you were hunintg the past saturday and that the incident took place the day of your post. the post is dated the 17th which is wednesday. so you left your stand, laying on the ground for more than three days in a public forest. so its not like you left it there, walked to your car and than came right back for it. you abandoned it for over 3 DAYS!!! imagine you come back, your stand is gone and you see a guy that has a stand that looks exactly like yours, too bad, you cant do a thing about it. lemme give a senario, i have this stand im carrying throught the woods and i hear some jackle neck calling me over, out of courtesy i stop and wait for him to walk to me. he says, that stand looks just like mine and mine was stolen, im a cop (show a badge), hand over your stand or im going to arrest you. my response would be, "your crazy, go f-yourself and im giveing you 3 seconds to to distance your self from me otherwise im gong to put my foot in your A$$."

liquidorange,

your analogy is dumb. try this one, say your laying on the beach and you have a money clip with three hundred dollars in it. you decide you dont want to carry the money clip back home so you decide to put the money clip in a garbage bag and bury it on the beach for 3 days. next day a guy with a metal detector find your money clip with 300 dollars in it, is he a thief, did he steal the money cip, is a slob metal detector user, would anyone have a chance in hell trying to press charges on a guy for having in his possesion a money clip he found on the beach with a metal detecor?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:34 AM

YOU SHOULD SEE HIS MOUTH DROP, I WANTED TO LAUGH. I GOT HIS NAME, AND WENT TO THE GAME WARDEN TO INFORM THEM
After reading this part of your first post, I thought you were having him charged with something. I guess I don't understand just what you told the warden, or what you expected him to do.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st OFF I TOLD THE GAME WARDEN AS FAR AS A HEADS UP. WHAT IF THERE IS A RASH OF STANDS BEING STOLEN? I DIDN'T HAVE TO TELL HIM.

"AKA EASTWOOD" IF I LEFT MY STAND ON PUBLIC GROUNDS FOR 5 MINUTES OR 5 DAYS, IT DOESN'T MATTER. IF MY STAND IS TAKEN AND SOMEONE IN THE AREA HAS A STAND THAT LOOKS LIKE MINE IT'S ENOUGH FOR ME TO CHECK TO SEE IF ITS MINE, AND IF MY NAME IS ENGRAVED ON IT WHICH I HAVE IT ON ALL MY STANDS THEN THAT SHOWS HE TOOK IT. IF SOMEONE STOLE YOUR CAR, AND WHILE ON PATROL I SEE THE SAME MAKE, MODEL, YEAR COLOR CAR I CAN PULL IT OVER, AND COME TO FIND OUT ITS EITHER YOUR CAR OR NOT, WHAT THEY CALL IT IS PROBABLE CAUSE. HOW THE LAW IS IN EACH STATE IS DIFFERENT, BUT HERE IN NEW JERSEY I KNOW WHAT THE LAW IS.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

A.K.A.- you sound like the type of guy who mite take a stand under those conditions to me. if you dont know the story behind it (the stand) and you should know that someone is coming back for it! do you honestly think its o.k. to find a tree stand in the woods during the bussiest hunt week of the year and not think that the stand belongs to somebody who wouldnt come back for it?. in my state you have to turn in found valuables for a time period. i have found gold on the beach and brought it to my local police. i wouldnt look good wearing a ring that says meriam on it i guess its just how honest you are. your analogy is the makings of a thief to me. YOU CANT FIND A CORVETTE ON THE STREET WITH KEYS IN IT AND DRIVE IT AWAY AND DECLARE OWNERSHIP. now thats a dumb analogy but true
Old 12-22-2003, 07:03 PM

IF CAUGHT THE GUY RED HANDED WITH MY STAND, AND I CAN PROVE THAT I OWN THE STAND LIKE MY NAME ENGRAVED ON IT, THEN I WOULD OF ARRESTED HIM ON THE SPOT FOR STOLEN PROPERTY, SIMPLE AS THAT. IF ANYONE IS LUCKY ITS THAT A**HOLE, YOU SEE MY STAND HIS REPLACEABLE, HE'S LUCKY I DIDN'T ARREST HIM, OR HE WOULD OF BEEN IN MORE TROUBLE THEN ONE WOULD THINK, STATE, LOCAL AND FEDERAL CHARGES SINCE THIS TOOK PLACE ON FEDERAL LAND.

Better look at the law before you arrest any body for stolen property that
is your mr. officer you can't as it is a confliction of interest.
That sir is federal law and over rides loc. law.
That your stand was almost stolen I under stand but you left it for 3 days on public land in a garbage bag ????
I think even in NJ it is called littering.
I suggest that you loose the big bad cop bull as it don't impress anybody
just makes more people dislike the police .
Old 12-22-2003, 08:39 PM

fastfire,

i was going to touch on your exact comment, but i thought i should just leave this alone. thank you for your 2 cents as i agree. very interesting, VERY intersting!

Quick Reply: CAUGHT HUNTER TAKEN MY TREESTAND IN NEW JERSEY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.