Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA After Christmas Hunt >

PA After Christmas Hunt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA After Christmas Hunt

Old 12-15-2003, 09:15 AM

Default RE: PA After Christmas Hunt

What are the orange requirements for late season archery? I'll be bowhunting in Allegheny where shotgun is still open for doe and in Armstrong where it is flintlock and archery only. I looked in the regs book and couldn't find it. Good luck and stay warm.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:56 AM

Deer902 - any time archery overlaps with muzzleloader you gotta wear the 250 inches of blaze while moving. I think in Armstrong Co. you can remove it as long as you post a band by your stand. In Allegheny you have to keep it on because of the shotgun hunters... Better safe than sorry.
If it snows I'm gonna find me some white clothes for archery...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 PM

Actually you do not need Flo orange for after x-mas archery or flintlock. It is "encouraged" but not mandatory. Here is a clip from a PGC news release - I will also attach the website - it's near the bottom that this is addressed:

"...Hunters using archery or muzzleloader licenses, and hunting with those special sporting arms, are not required to wear fluorescent orange clothing while afield, but are encouraged to do so. Special regulations area hunters must wear 250 square inches of fluorescent orange clothing, unless they possess an archery or muzzleloader license and are hunting with a bow or flintlock."

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/press/200...r/nr116-03.asp
Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be posting an orange band in Allegheny and maybe keep my orange hat on just to be safe.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be out with the bow Dec 26 in Allegheny County waiting for all the shotgun hunters to push the deer deeper into suburbia. I still have my buck tag and Dec 26 and New Years day have been great for that type of hunt in the past.
Deer902, maybe I'll see you where you met me and Big Country a year or two back!!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 AM

Good luck to you BT. I haven't hunted that area at all this year. It was loaded with hunters last Saturday and would imagine it'll be loaded again the day after Christmas and New Years. A local family is always pushing that road back and forth on those days. A friend is working at a house right in that area and said he sees deer bedded in the back yards everyday. If you pull a big one out let me know. Rumor in archery season was that there was a huge buck spotted several times near the rehab center. And as far as I know he wasn't taken yet.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep I've heard about him! I've got a BIG lone track and a BIG bed right where I shot the one you saw 2 years ago!! That spot is possibly close enough to the rehab for him to be the one that made the sign
Oh yeah, got a 12" locust tree that is all rubbed up there too
Old 12-16-2003, 06:23 PM

can't wait my first year out with my muzzleloader. hunted 11 yrs second season with my bow
Old 12-19-2003, 03:24 PM

I don't know if I'm looking forward to it. I've had a very bad deer hunting year. not only have I not shot anything to date. I could count the deer I've seen on one hand. However like the persistent hunter that I am (or very stupid) I will be out there in december and january freezing my butt off trying to fill my two unfilled tags. "O"well the snow should be pretty this time of year.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:01 PM

i sure would be if i would have gotten myself in gear and purchased my bow last spring. i've been wanting to try my hand at bow hunting for a while now but never seem to have the extra cash laying around to get one.