Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pa game commission >

pa game commission

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa game commission

Old 11-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Default RE: pa game commission

NY' s southern tier rifle season starts the 17th. I would love to hunt then with a rifle. Other years, it starts Thanksgiving week, due to calandar. I think more people are off from work the Friday/Saturday after Thanksgiving, which might be a good time to start season. However, I seriously dispute PGC' s deer herd count, at least on public forest land. This is a far more serious problem, as I feel we are headed to a two-tierd system, the haves and the have-nots. Those that hunt private or leased land are fareing much better in success rate than those of us that hunt our SGL' s and state forests. I believe that the WMU' s are much too big in area to control the deer herd, which is what they were designed to do in first place.
In the recently concluded bow season, hunting in a state park, averaging 4 - 5 days a week, morning and/or evening. I saw a total of 8 does and 2 bucks. During the early muzzeloader season, I hunted 6 days am and pm. I killed one doe with my in-line and missed one buck with my bow. There are people who see that much action in a single day on private land.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

They don' t want to move it to the week of Thanksgiving-they' re talking about extending it starting that week of Thanksgiving and continuing for the usual 2 weeks after.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:21 AM

I agree with MikeE51848, all I hunt is gamelands and there arent much deer. I didnt get out like I use too but I was out about 60 hours this year and saw 2 doe and 2 buck. The gamelands are hurting.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not for it,The deer herd is down on public land,but thats what the PGC wants.It is what they want , Not what the hunter wants. The private lands still have a good deer herd. The only program that has a chance to work as far as private land is The greenbacks. some landowners would probably open their land to a limited amount of hunters for the money. I broke down this year and paid a landowner,the only place close to home to hunt with deer ,even though I have 5000 acres of gamelands within 5 miles of me. It was 150.00 for thw bow seasons only,no guns.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:16 AM

i wish they would extend the archery season, 7 weeks is not long enough. especially when your working 55hrs a week![X(]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:12 AM

No I think deer rifle season is when it should be.

I am sure one of the factors is the continued increase in bear/people instances, but I don' t want to see deer season moved up a week. Move bear season back one week and have it run concurrently with deer season like it is now in the one area.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:58 AM

MikeE..sorry, I was aware of the early muzzleloader. But it is doe only. A while back they were talking about allowing muzzleloaders to take a buck prior to Thanksgiving. They have not yet allowed that. That is what I was referring to.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think the DMu' s are pretty realistic. It is too hard to micro manage deer. I live in wyoming county and hunt Bradford county. They divided these areas by the agricultural northern areas of the northern Tier and the Mountainous Southern half. I thought this was right were they should have done it based on my knowlege of the area and deer herds. You gotta look it as, overall it is a much better system. They can never make it perfect for absolutely everyone in the state. Geographically based on my area I think they did the correct thing.

As for the season I also would like to see a week or 2 additional achery season based on what i saw here the last week of the rut (unbelievable!!)

If they move it to the week of thanksgiving it would screw up the tradition of " Deer Camp" . How would you approach it as far as vacation goes ? We usually take the entire week off, which we could not do if it started the week of thanksgiving. So would you hunt the first Monday and come back up for the 2nd week???

As far as hunting it would be unbeleivable. I dont know about you guys but i usually see some SLAMMER bucks during bear season, as the tail end of the rut is still on. NY guys get it good as far as hunting at a great time of year with a shotgun. Imagine going out the week of Nov 17th with a rifle in PA.......Imagine the Taxidermy bills!!!!!!!!!

Besides look at most every other state that gets to hunt during the rut.......PA is the exception. As far as I am concerned the more huntin time the better.!!
Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

They say there are too many deer..HAHA rightttttt...All the game commision wants is the money, they even admit that they are selling less and less license every year. Combinding deer and bear season will only bring in more money because most people will buy a bear license just incase they see a bear.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:45 AM

Is the price of hunting one more week of deer worth the destruction of the black bear species. I VOTE NO!
I also must add that the increased hunting pressure during the rut would hurt the natural breeding cycle and leave too many doe unbred or bred late, which would increase fawn mortality rate in harsh winters to come.

Quick Reply: pa game commission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.