Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
CT Hunting Buddy >

CT Hunting Buddy

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CT Hunting Buddy

Old 12-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Spike

Default CT Hunting Buddy

Hello all, it is a pleasure to be here. I hope everyone is doing! I am pretty new to hunting and I would love to find a hunting buddy or maybe someone to go on at least one trip to help either bestow some
wisdom in hunting or to just hang out on a hunting trip. It is waterfowl season but I will hunt anything. After a good hunt, I can buy us a case of beer or energy drinks whatever you're into. I'm in Waterbury but I can travel to most places in CT so I can have a
great hunt with a fellow hunter!

My guns:
12 Ga. P3000 Stoeger Pump
9mm Walther CCP M1

My location:
Waterbury, CT
But I will travel pretty far for a good hunt.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Spike

What do you hunt? It is a bit late now. State land muzzleloader ends in a couple of days Private land muzzleloader ends on the 31st. Pheasant is essentially over with the exception of private clubs. Rabbits etc. last into the new year but pickings are lean and getting leaner with the snow.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CT-Hunter
What do you hunt? It is a bit late now.
I will hunt whatever is in season also I didn't even realize it was getting late in the season. Like I said pretty new to this so sorry if I don't sound very knowledgeable on the subject.

Last edited by Michael Grabinski; 12-19-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Spike

Well it is a bit late in the season. Other than a few whacks at club pheasants, more for my dogs than for me, my season is wrapping up. If you have an archery tag and access to private land, bow deer is still open in Fairfield county until the end of February (I think). Rabbit is also open until the end of February. There are some good covers in Rorabach WMA clearcuts in Harwinton and the Goshen WMA. But those and other places are tough even with a dog if they had a clearcut in the last few years. That is it until turkey in late April. Don't forget to get you new license if you plan to hunt if January. They are available on line now.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Spike

I plan on getting my archery license next I need to schedule a field day but I have been busy as for private land I don't have any access to that. I do look forward to spring turkey season I unfortunately missed out on fall turkey which this year I seen it changed to a 5 bag limit I think and 3 for spring. I will definitely try to go out for some rabbits since they will be in season for a while. If you happen to want to go out hunting with someone next time you hunt again let me know. I appreciate your advice.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:00 AM
Spike

Mike,

The deer lottery opened an hour ago. These are some of the best public areas available. Prior to this year, if you were selected, you would be assigned either A or B season. This year A and B is gone, combined into the single rifle / shotgun season. The downside of the lottery is that once you are assigned an area, that is the only area you can hunt in. The non-lottery permit allows you to hunt any non-lottery area. Choose your poison. Since I am 10 minutes from a lottery area where I have done pretty well in the past. my choice is obvious, In Waterbury, it might be different. You have Mattatuck state forest just north of the city which is OK. Good luck. If you are interested in the lottery areas act today, they usually don't last too long.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a gun for hunting!