Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
2/3rds of the triple trophy! >

2/3rds of the triple trophy!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2/3rds of the triple trophy!

Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default 2/3rds of the triple trophy!

Got my bear before Thanksgiving and a buck this morning. Hunted all day in PA on Saturday, Monday, Friday and then until 1 today.

Finally saw a legal buck this morning about 745. Yesterday I saw 30 deer, one little half rack spike. Typical day of PA hunting. Glad to finally see a legal one.

Just gotta get that spring gobbler now. I'm ready for May to get here!

-Jake
Old 12-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

way to go jake & congrats
Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now if you can only outsmart one of those pea brained toms in the spring you'll be in business.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Yesterday I saw 30 deer, one little half rack spike. Typical day of PA hunting. Glad to finally see a legal one.
Jake
Typical day!!! Wow, I want to come hunting with you. Where I hunt it would take me 3 or 4 years to see 30 deer. But fortunately I'm lucky enough to find a couple dumb ones every year!
Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Now if you can only outsmart one of those pea brained toms in the spring you'll be in business.
I got skunked turkey hunting last year. Hoping for a better year this year!

-Jake
Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Typical day!!! Wow, I want to come hunting with you. Where I hunt it would take me 3 or 4 years to see 30 deer. But fortunately I'm lucky enough to find a couple dumb ones every year!
You guys don't drive though typically. If you were pushing them you'd see allot more probably. But maybe not the quality of bucks that you usually take most seasons. We regular have 12-16 people on the opener and the Saturdays out chasing.

We don't see many bucks. They're either not there, or too smart to come out on a drive. I regularly see 30+ deer a day with no horns or illegal horns.

I shot this buck while sitting in the morning. My dad shot a 6 point later that day off a drive. And we took a 5 point half rack, that would have been a great buck had he had both sides, off a drive earlier in the week.

It's not uncommon to be on post and see 10-15 deer come out on a drive. Do a few of those a day and the numbers add up. But it probably makes the "good" bucks harder to hunt.

Pre antler restrictions I remember seeing 100+deer a day sometimes. Or 50+ deer in a field while spotlighting. And same thing "doe,doe,doe,doe". After antler restrictions and a few years of high doe slaughter we started "burning" doe tags to get our numbers back up. They started coming back around 2012 probably. And are back high again. Not high as they were, but plenty of deer running around.

Few things contributed to it. We stopped shooting doe number 1. Then, allot of the private ground in the area was all logged out over a few years and that tangled jungle seemed to really boost the deer population.

This is all either public land or co-op farms that allow anybody on them. High pressure areas. If we don't drive we don't see much. But maybe that just means I'm a bad hunter. Lol. We hunt hard though. Most days we don't even break for lunch. Sit in the morning until 9, meet up, and get the drives started and drive usually until dark. Thickest nastiest stuff we can find. It's allot of work. But I enjoy it. Last Saturday is usually doe day for us. It's a long fun day.

-Jake