Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cwd cya

Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

The bottom line on cwd is this: they don't know enough.

They just don't know. It's possible that 25 years from now everyone eating venison today will turn into zombies. They don't know. They don't know enough to stop it, prevent it, or seemingly even slow it down.

So they can't make a positive statement. They can say that to the best of their abilities to test right now that the deer is clean. That's about all.

I've certainly considered whether eating venison and feeding it to my young kids is wise. I certainly don't know either. My family of 5 uses about 6 deer per year. So it's a large part of our diet.

I may regret that some day.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
God bless Vermont, I have been trying to get the same in PA. It makes no sense to allow urine bases lures and scents when the artificial stuff works as well.
Please educate me here. Which ones are urine based, and which ones are artificial? They all smell horrible to me.

As a bear hunter, I drive my wife crazy with my over-the-top cooking demands out of fear of trichinosis, which is nothing compared to Cruetzfeld-Jakob disease.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The ones that tell you on the bottle they are urine based or artificial. I don't use them so I don't have a rand name for you. It may smell bad to you, to a deer, not so much.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The ones that tell you on the bottle they are urine based or artificial. I don't use them so I don't have a rand name for you. It may smell bad to you, to a deer, not so much.
The smell comment was my poor attempt at humor. I didn't know if the various brands were that specific about the contents. I suspect that the cheaper ones are artificial, which means I'm probably safe.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Illegal here so generally anything that is sold in stores is artificial. I never use any of it so it doesn't matter to me.