Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cwd cya

Old 11-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cwd cya

The same day I shot a buck during early archery season here in PA I took the head to one of the Game Commission's deer parts collection boxes. If you hunt in a Disease Management Area you can drop the head in one of those boxes and they will test it for CWD. There is no proof that eating the meat from an infected deer is harmful to humans but why take the chance, right? Plus you are doing your part to help identify where the disease may or may not be spreading to, right?

I got the results in the mail today from the Game Commission which stated: "Our records indicate that CWD was not detected in a deer harvested by you." Awesome.

Not so fast, they also state: "Please note this is not a food safety test. Failure to find prions in the examined tissue does not indicate the harvested animal is CWD free." Huh? In other words don't waste your time getting your deer tested. It doesn't mean a damn thing. Good grief.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:31 AM
Dominant Buck

CWD is a sad thing when it is detected in an area. The results will certainly mean less license sales and one can only imagine the costs associated with long term testing and remediation for the affected area.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blksn8k
The same day I shot a buck during early archery season here in PA I took the head to one of the Game Commission's deer parts collection boxes. If you hunt in a Disease Management Area you can drop the head in one of those boxes and they will test it for CWD. There is no proof that eating the meat from an infected deer is harmful to humans but why take the chance, right? Plus you are doing your part to help identify where the disease may or may not be spreading to, right?

I got the results in the mail today from the Game Commission which stated: "Our records indicate that CWD was not detected in a deer harvested by you." Awesome.

Not so fast, they also state: "Please note this is not a food safety test. Failure to find prions in the examined tissue does not indicate the harvested animal is CWD free." Huh? In other words don't waste your time getting your deer tested. It doesn't mean a damn thing. Good grief.
What that is , is a CYA from the labs that do the testing. The CDC has said that while no one has contracted CWD to their knowledge but they will not endorse eating the meat from a positive tested deer. No one can give a 100% guarantee that you cannot contract the disease because they still don't know that much about it other than it is one of the diseases caused by prions. You should be glad the PGC is doing free testing, a disclaimer like that is not unusual. If you get vaccinated for various diseases you will not find a Dr. who will give you a guarantee you will not contract the disease. I suggest you read the information regarding CWD on the PGC website.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What that is , is a CYA from the labs that do the testing. The CDC has said that while no one has contracted CWD to their knowledge but they will not endorse eating the meat from a positive tested deer. No one can give a 100% guarantee that you cannot contract the disease because they still don't know that much about it other than it is one of the diseases caused by prions. You should be glad the PGC is doing free testing, a disclaimer like that is not unusual. If you get vaccinated for various diseases you will not find a Dr. who will give you a guarantee you will not contract the disease. I suggest you read the information regarding CWD on the PGC website.
Been there done all that. As both a hunter and a property owner within DMA 3 I am extremely concerned about the future of deer hunting in PA and this CYA statement does absolutely nothing to ease my concerns about not only hunting but also consuming the deer that I am fortunate enough to harvest. My processor stated that my deer looked extremely healthy to him but he has an obvious agenda as well. Fewer deer hunters means his business suffers too. Researchers also point out that even though a deer may appear healthy it can take years for CWD symptoms to show up. I have been hunting for well over fifty years and at my age I guess I just accept the fact that your gonna die from something and I like venison. However, I usually give some of my harvest to friends and relatives but that probably won't happen anymore.

In your response you stated: "The CDC has said that while no one has contracted CWD to their knowledge but they will not endorse eating the meat from a positive tested deer." That is exactly one of the reasons why I had my deer tested but the letter I received was nonsense because it does not confirm anything, positive or negative.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Here's another point to consider. By putting that CYA statement in the results letter, some hunters (if not the majority of hunters) who have their deer tested and then read that statement are probably going to have a similar response. If that causes hunters to decide that it is a waste of time to have their deer tested because it doesn't prove anything they probably won't bother doing it again and their hunting buddies won't bother with it either. Remember, having your deer tested is completely voluntary. In my opinion, adding that CYA statement has the potential of defeating the whole testing program.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you miss the part about not wanting to assume liability because of being sued. Hunt outside the DMAs if it bothers you,that is what I do.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunters should do there part of stopping the spread of CWD in deer an elk, by avoiding the use of deer/elk urine scented products.

If you do have a deer/elk urine scented product: Avoid pouring it down the drain or on the ground.

Oregon has already banned the use of deer/elk urine scented products, starting in January 2020 --- And the rest of the world should too.

"CWD, What Hunters Can Do"

quote: Link

http://www.myodfw.com/articles/cwd-what-hunters-can-do

Last edited by Erno86; 11-05-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Vermont made deer urine illegal several years ago as well as outlawing deer farms, supplemental deer feeding, and banning importation of a whole deer, elk or moose from another state or Province where CWD has been found. All states should follow that plan to slow the spread but even with that I feel the spread over time is inevitable.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

God bless Vermont, I have been trying to get the same in PA. It makes no sense to allow urine bases lures and scents when the artificial stuff works as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
God bless Vermont, I have been trying to get the same in PA. It makes no sense to allow urine bases lures and scents when the artificial stuff works as well.
Biggest bang for the buck comes with outlawing game farms/ canned hunting. In many locations where it suddenly popped up there was a game farm where it started. There is no such thing as a fence totally eliminates commingling between captive deer or elk and those in the wild. Fences can be damaged by blow downs, jumped over or even cut by vandalism. We had one of our last game farms here before they outlawed them and I believe it had a double fence. Captive deer still got out and wild ones got in. When they closed the operation they had to kill all the trophy wild deer that got in and lived there. Unfortunately there is some big money behind some of those type operations in other states. Politics keeps them in business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.