Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Sunday hunting? >

PA Sunday hunting?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Sunday hunting?

Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default PA Sunday hunting?

Where does this currently stand?

The latest news articles I read today were dated mid-Sept and basically stated that Senate Bill 147 was stalled in the state House. Apparently it ran into an issue where the PA Farm Bureau would not support the bill unless it was amended to include a requirement that hunters obtain written permission from landowners.

I fall on both sides of this issue. I am a hunter and a landowner. I don't farm my land as it is mostly wooded but I do have a couple of small food plots. The reason I bought my land several years ago was so I would have a place to hunt and not have to rely on getting permission from private property owners or be relegated to hunting state game lands or other public hunting lands. I am now retired, living on and enjoying my property. Most of my neighbors are great folks and we either honor property lines or have mutual agreements about hunting.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be those who think they can trespass anywhere they please. I had an issue about a year ago when two young "hunters" came onto my property without permission and posed in front of one of my trail cameras for several minutes and then, I assume, stole another. I reported the incident and gave photos and a video from the camera to the State Police who questioned the two individuals who obviously denied stealing the other camera. One of the two is part of a local family that is well known for this kind of behavior and some of which have been prosecuted for drug and alcohol abuse, among other things. He actually picked an apple from my orchard and stood there eating it in front of the camera which they had previously examined by looking right into the lens from a couple of feet away! I took that as "We're going to trespass here whether you like it or not." And by the way, they were carrying another camera but it appeared to be a different model from the one that went missing the same day. I assume it was one they stole from somebody else.

Before anyone says "Oh this was just a couple of kids looking for a place to hunt" think about this: If that were true they could have easily come to my house, which is only a few hundred yards from where all this happened, and asked for permission.

One result of all that was that these guys could not be prosecuted for trespassing because my land was not "properly" posted. They also could not be prosecuted for theft because the evidence was missing. Well, guess what? Now my property is posted and if they get caught on my property again they can now be legally charged with Criminal Defiant Trespassing.

I also talked to another neighbor a few days ago who caught the same individual who posed for my camera stealing apples on his property. Apparently the guy likes apples. "Someone" also stole one of that neighbor's tree stands...

I don't like the fact that I had to nail those ugly yellow signs to the trees on my property lines but this is a perfect example of why that happens. I also understand the frustration of hunters who don't have their own property to hunt on. I used to be one of them. I was just fortunate enough to solve my problem through a lifetime of hard work and finding the right opportunity.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

trespassing is my biggest issue with folks in PA< and how weak the laws are on and , worse how the law enforcement doesn't seem to care or make much of an effort
another thing that gets me, is the GAME WARDENS, refuse to enforce it stating its NOT there job(sorry Oltimer)
BUT quite honestly a game warden has every law enforcement rights of any cops they give you a DUI< and hold you for a speeding ticket, SO< legally THEY can enforce trespassing if they wished to,
they just don;'t want the hassle!
and a shame, as I am positives if they did so, a LOT more land owners would be on there side and like them more period!

I truly wish ALL people, NOT Just hunters
on private lands, would HAVE to have written permission slips on them and be held accountable if NOT, and enforced by ALL law enforcement agency's! it would sure simplify things IMO
and make the state a LOT of extra cash, heck, let what ever dept that gets them get the profits from the fines, as a incentive to stop these folks!
as for me, its not just trespassing in hunting season its a all yr deal, with folks walking, riding ATv's, and just wandering lands they have NO right being on, yet when confronted they ALL act like they own the land and get aggressive real fast when you tell them to leave or there trespassing, as if its MY job to tell grow adults there NOT on land they have access to
Please folks , be responsible for your OWN were about, don't require someone else to tell you you DON"T have permission to be there
its NOT rocket science
you either KNOW you can be there or you DON"T!

and please show some respect too when your in the wrong, !
if you DON"T know , DON"T go on lands!
and if you wish to go, ask for permission FIRST, and don't wait till a few days before hunting season or IN hunting season, show's again a lack of responsibility, and many land owners don't want folks that cannot pre plan to ask on there lands!

NOW< back to sunday hunting
I am a guy that likes NO hunting on Sunday, But I can see why many would want it, and as such, I think, the most fair way to decide is to have a vote on it, open to the residents of PA, as it does effect more than just hunters!

sadly though I think it will come down to $$$< more money in more days hunting, so, Sunday hunting will most likely happen sooner or later?
still rather see it decided in a vote to residence , but? ain't counting on that being the deciding factor!
Old 10-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

On the Sunday hunting vote, Senate Bill 147 would have only authorized Sunday hunting for three days during the 2019/2020 hunting season, one Sunday each during the deer firearms and archery seasons and another to be determined by the Game Commission. One of the articles I read earlier today, if I understood it correctly, stated that if Senate Bill 147 doesn't get passed by the House during the current legislative session it would have to re-introduced and that could not be done until the next session which won't be until 2021! Good grief! Another example of stonewalling and our tax dollars NOT at work...I'm not sure why we even bother to have elections anymore. Nothing ever seems to get done anyway.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

come on pa game commision just pass the sunday hunting law. i don't understand why you guys got to be in the past. if landowners don't want you on their land on sunday & then why in the heck do they permit you the 6 other days of the week ? here in ohio we've had sunday hunting for well over 12 years & i've yet heard a complaint from landowners not to come here on sunday. gives hunters a chance to get out if you work 6 days a week.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
come on pa game commision just pass the sunday hunting law. i don't understand why you guys got to be in the past. if landowners don't want you on their land on sunday & then why in the heck do they permit you the 6 other days of the week ? here in ohio we've had sunday hunting for well over 12 years & i've yet heard a complaint from landowners not to come here on sunday. gives hunters a chance to get out if you work 6 days a week.
The PGC cannot pass a Sunday hunting law, the PA general assembly must do so.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Here in CT we can't hunt on Sunday. Every time the issue comes up to allow it, the tree huggers claim they should have at least one day to hike in the woods without hunters in the woods too!. Seems to me they have all year to hike in the woods, and hunting season is only a few months. You should hear them complain when told they should wear orange when hiking in the woods during the hunting season. It would be nice if the state would allow hunting on Sunday at least on private land with the land owners permission.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

does'nt matter who needs to pass the bill they just need to pass the bill/
.make sunday hunting legal. here in ohio i yet to here from a landowner not to hunt on sunday.most of the landowners hunt themselves on sunday. i just don't understand what the big deal is hunting sundays
Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

.make sunday hunting legal. here in ohio i yet to here from a landowner not to hunt on sunday.most of the landowners hunt themselves on sunday. i just don't understand what the big deal is hunting sundays
well a lot of it IMO is tradition, and then a lot of it is also a LOT of private land owners DON"T want it
if you have private lands and have a LOT of issue's with trespassing(as many in PA do)
having at least one day where its lower is NICE to have
NOT saying this is the major reason, but it is one I have

next is many farmers wanted a day to work fields and stuff without worries, but I do feel this ia much lower deal now as to decades before
same with religious reasons for many
as so few folks are BIG into religion now as to again decades before
but the tradition is still there in many!

Have to remember hunters are a smaller portion of the population out there, so the numbers can make it hard to happen!

as for Ohio, Well I hunt there have have a Long time, and the private land I hunt, NON of the owner's hunt on Sundays, some allow me, some asked me NOT to!
same as hinting any holiday they feel is special!
and I always respect there wishes, appreciate the access they give me,.
SO I wouldn't;t say all land owners in Ohio feel the same way!

I am however for some sort of PRICE should be paid for hikers and others that wish to use GAME LANDS for there rec
us hunters pay into funds to BUY these lands for HUNTING
so, if we have to pay for a lic to hunt them, and use them for what they were bought for
IMO< so should others
Lots of federal lands they can hike on for free, paid for by ALL tax dollars!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is a big deal to a lot of people, that is why we do not have it in PA. There have been public hearings on the subject held by the general assembly for decades in a feeling out process. The feedback has always been negative from the general public. The general assembly represents all people of the Commonwealth not just the hunters who are in favor of Sunday hunting and are greatly outnumbered by the rest of the people who are opposed. The general assembly is reluctant to pass a law that so many are opposed to. This three day business is a test, if it passes, then allow the PGC to name the days. That would essentially all the legislators to say, hey the PGC didn't have to open those days to Sundays, we only gave them the ability. And that my man is Politics!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

here i ohio i hunt every sunday i get a chance to. as for the landowners most of them don't even require you to notified them that you are going to hunt there. you got there permission & they usually tell you hunt at your free will. as for the farmers none of them have told me not to hunt on sundays .they tell me the same get here & hunt & kill the deer who destroying my crops. now if one told me not to hunt on a certain day or holiday i would respect that wish. most of the farms i hunt in ohio the farmer or family members ask where i would be hunting so they could advise me if they are going to be working in that area. the 1 farmer in amherst twp keeps me abreast where he last seen some big deer. in fact he has taken quite a few pictures of this really big buck& has told me where & what time he has been coming thru. i asked him why he does'nt go after it & he tells me i ain'nt got time to hunt but if you get one he would like some meat off one . and of course there's no problem on that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.