Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Sunday hunting? >

PA Sunday hunting?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Sunday hunting?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Virginia it is up to the land owner if he wants to allow people to hunt on their property on Sunday. They MUST give written permission for an individual or club to hunt on that day. DGIF even provides a sample form that can be used. Wardens check hunters for this permission which must be carried while hunting.. Not a problem so far. Agree to it and get Sunday Hunting approved. Here theFarm Bureau fought against it totally and are no friends to the hunters. At least there they are conceding it will happen someday
Old 10-19-2019, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

here in ohio the farm bureau was all for it . & i have yet met a farmer who opposes sunday hunting on their land.any farm i hunt i tell them when they need a helping hand just call me & i have a couple of farmers who when i harvest a deer they would like a small amount of meat . in which i have no problem.most game wardens won't ask to see permission slips unless the farmer has called them out for unwanted hunters. in all here in oh the farmer is your best friend . but there are some farm's you just can't get permission for . due to a lease or it's for family members only.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
does'nt matter who needs to pass the bill they just need to pass the bill/
.make sunday hunting legal. here in ohio i yet to here from a landowner not to hunt on sunday.most of the landowners hunt themselves on sunday. i just don't understand what the big deal is hunting sundays
Actually it does matter! It you are going to call someone out, call out the right people!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

When we went to get it passed here in Va the Farm Bureau was fighting against it. The National Board stated they did not even know it was an issue and had no policy on Sunday Hunting. They then left it up to the individual States "elected" board members. They eventually lost to organized informed hunters.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still say the problem is, it should be a public vote and as such, the majority of the public , is NOT hunters!
and since most don't hunt, they maybe just don;t care about changing something they don;t know much about!

IMO< if the state of PA< wanted to allow Sunday hunting, I would think and I could be WRONG, it might be easier if it was set up to be allowed on PA state game lands, as these lands were purchased with hunters funds, are designed for hunting, and as such,should have more say on what happens on THERE lands
and not be trying to pass things state wide on ALL lands, both public and private, which I see as a harder sale to the general public, again who is mostly NOT a hunter!

the problem here seems to be Most folks don;t like this IDEA< they(large portions of folks) BASH game lands and its POOR hunting, over populated, and rude hunters on them(or even go so far as to say there unsafe hunters on them, NOT all, but many)
I heard this from thousands of customers in my gun shop, at butcher shops I helped out at and taxidermist shops as well
Game lands, get bashed on a lot( I personally ha ve hunted some great game lands in PA)
and as such, most want prime private lands to hunt, or many SKIP hunting!

BUT if HUNTERS truly wanted Sunday hunting, pushing for it in GAME LANDS, would be a better route to try IMO< than trying to pass it state wide on ALL lands,
and then down the road, if things work well, and no safety issue's or??
THEN try and pass it state wide
small steps, might work out better

as is, I think its still a few generations deep yet in it NOT passing state wide, being realistic here, as I am neutral on it, could care less either way!
Old 10-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure you would want to do that. I would bet you if the choice was left to a ballot issue, Sunday hunting would loose. That is one of the things people in my state do not or will not understand. The General,Assembly in the law making process does not only consider the opinion and wants of hunters, they are a minority in the state.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I have never understood not allowing hunting on Sunday. I've shot a lot of deer/elk/bear/pronghorn etc... in my 56 years on this planet and I have never seen one yet that can read a calender. Why does it matter what day of the week a deer gets shot on as long as the season is open. Private land owners can reguate hunting on their land in any way they wish but public land should be open to all for all 7 days of the week.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

Update from the PGC website:

Additional Sunday Hunting Won't Happen in 2019
Passing the state House of Representatives Oct. 29 by a 144-54 vote, and the state Senate by a vote of 38-11 on November 18, 2019, legislation that would provide expanded Sunday hunting opportunities in Pennsylvania appears likely to become law soon. But the Pennsylvania Game Commission wants hunters to know Senate Bill 147 has not been passed in final form yet, and even if it is signed into law, it will not take effect until 90 days after passage. That means the bill, which would permit hunting on three Sundays – one within the archery deer season, one within the firearms deer season, and one on another Sunday selected by the Game Commission – will not provide additional Sunday hunting opportunity in 2019.

You can follow the progress of Senate Bill 147, which would remove the prohibition here: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...&type=B&bn=147
Old 11-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

i see the governor of pa has signed the bill & as of 2/25/20 pa will have 3 sundays able to hunt . 1 during archery season 1 for regular firearms for deer & 1 left to be determined by the pa game commision. hopefully they put it with a bear date. maybe the 1st sunday of the saturday bear opening firearms season. congrats to the hunters in pa . you guys will enjoy sunday hunting take it from who hunts a lot sundays in ohio