HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Anyone hunting Pennsylvania 1A? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/421458-anyone-hunting-pennsylvania-1a.html)

Bocajnala 08-08-2019 10:49 PM

Anyone hunting Pennsylvania 1A?

Got a 1A doe tag this year. Going to try out some of the public land.

Anyone hunting 1A?

Got my 2E tag as well and will hunt it on the Saturdays. But will spend a few days in the 2nd week in 1A

-Jake

bronko22000 08-10-2019 02:30 PM

Good luck Jake. Didn't you get one for the little lady this year?

Bocajnala 08-10-2019 05:53 PM

She's in nursing school and has a busy schedule this fall.

She hasn't decided if she'll hunt or not. If she does I'll get her a license and then I know a farmer that usually has some left over dmap tags up until gun season. So if she decides to hunt I'll try to get her one of those.

I spoiled her last year by taking her out for early muzzle loader season and she decided she likes that October, nice weather hunting. Since I'm going to Wyoming this fall I probably won't hunt the early muzzleloader season this year

-Jake

Bocajnala 08-12-2019 06:30 AM

Actually Ohio controlled hunt draw was this morning.

I didn't draw anything but my wife did. She drew a special slug only hunt on Saturday November 9th.

She'll be allowed a buck and a doe or two doe. And I can also take two doe.

So I'm guessing she won't bother going to PA at all this year as she *should* be able to get a deer at the controlled hunt.

I'll shoot after she gets hers, or at whatever she misses lol...

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-14-2019 06:23 AM

jake what hunt did your wife get drawn for ? i quit trying to get drawn for those hunts about 3 yrs ago. seemed like every year the same people were being selected. i know for a fact that 1 guy got drawn for 3 different hunts 3 yrs in a row . if i was him i would of gone & played the lottery instead

Bocajnala 08-14-2019 12:51 PM

She drew the Ravenna arsenal women's hunt. Which is much higher draw odds than any of the regular hunts.

I've drawn three times since 2012 for various hunts. So I keep applying. This was the wife's first time getting drawn in three years of applying.

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-15-2019 06:03 AM

that's a nice place to hunt . have been there 3 times since 1986 & have taken 3 deer out of there . 1 nice buck & 2 doe. the buck was a 140 class deer but can't qualify for ohio big bucks due to being a fenced in area . i remember when ravenna was a archery hunt only & you had to qualify for it. that was back in the late 70's & early 80's & got a really nice buck back then also. also did'nt qualify for ohio big bucks due to being a fenced in area.alot of property to hunt.but you get drawn for for a certain area. good luck to both of you.

Bocajnala 08-15-2019 10:31 AM

I hunted in there once before on an antlerless hunt. There were deer running all over that day. And I had my first one down just a few minutes after legal light at about 15 yards.

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-16-2019 09:00 AM

nice i think now they have thinned the herd

Bocajnala 08-16-2019 09:44 AM

Yes it's down allot. I drive past the arsenal on my way to and from work everyday.

Used to see 20+ deer each time. Then a few years went by without seeing much. This year I've seen more than any of the past three years. So numbers are up a little more this year it seems like.

I'm excited to go either way!

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-17-2019 05:53 AM

holy crap jake let me get this straight.you live in indiana pa & work in ravenna oh.that's alot of miles & hrs from home. you know that is the area were the horn in the horn big is from not on the property but close to the arsenal. was found on the railroad tracks within a couple of miles. yeah i don't blame you i would be excited anytime i would get drawn for a hunt .

Bocajnala 08-17-2019 09:52 AM

I'm living in Trumbull county Ohio now.

Fifteen minutes from the arsenal.

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-19-2019 04:09 AM

oh i see why you hunt grand river probably close to you. i ought to get you to come to lorain county to hunt some private land out in wellington.near findley state park.

Bocajnala 08-19-2019 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by t.shaffer (Post 4359737)
oh i see why you hunt grand river probably close to you. i ought to get you to come to lorain county to hunt some private land out in wellington.near findley state park.

I would absolutely enjoy getting to meet you and getting together for a hunt sometime.

I'm not too far from you. And I know where Findley State Park is. If you need help on the property sometime let me know. I'm a worker!

I'm about twenty minutes from Grand River. Have a few decent spots out there that I enjoy stomping around in. Although there aren't as many deer running as there used to be. I like it because it's such a big area you can usually get away from other people. Especially when it's flooded. Allot of people don't want to get their boots wet it seems. There's some pretty spots out there though.

I used to especially like hunting out there during the late seasons for doe. But now Ohio has the only one public land antlerless and no antlerless deer on public land rule after gun week. So I lost my favorite late season spot. I prefer to hunt doe.

I like a buck as much as anyone but I'm a meat hunter and just have always really enjoyed late season doe hunting. Maybe the new doe restrictions will boost the numbers a little bit.

-Jake

t.shaffer 08-20-2019 07:02 AM

ok jake let me get in contact with the owner & see if i can get you permission .i don't see a problem buti better ask first. maytake a week or two to get to talk to him. i think he's out the area right now.will let you know

Bocajnala 08-20-2019 12:30 PM

I'm going to send you a private message to your inbox

t.shaffer 08-21-2019 06:24 AM

sent you a reply to your private message