Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Opener possible change >

PA Opener possible change

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Opener possible change

Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default PA Opener possible change

Possible changes coming to the PA deer opener.... Moving it from the Monday after Thanksgiving to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I'm not thrilled about it. But I suppose an extra day to hunt isn't a bad thing....

We hunt out of a traditional deer camp and people begin arriving Thanksgiving evening-Sunday evening. A Saturday opener would definitely change that.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiO2sGwr5jgAhVvr lkKHblwAKwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpittsbur gh.cbslocal.com%2F2019%2F01%2F30%2Fpennsylvania-game-commission-board-deer-hunting-season-change%2F&psig=AOvVaw202MgCRwigAgHQM9ov67sa&ust=15 49036123844381
Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

jake, there is all kinds of comments in the huntingpa site. for and against.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Only half the state of Pa starts the Monday after Thanksgiving, the other half starts The Saturday after here in Md.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EShoreMD
Only half the state of Pa starts the Monday after Thanksgiving, the other half starts The Saturday after here in Md.
Y'all got enough deer to share

-Jake
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

True. I'm just messing with you guys. I enjoy hunting other states as well. (De and Ky)

I like the Saturday opener but then again I really don't know any different. I hunt hard in Nov on my rutcation and generally the first sat and sun of gun then its back to work. Id have to take off more if it was Monday. I probably wouldn't even gun hunt if that was the case here.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

As you probably know, pa does not currently allow Sunday hunting .

So it would be a Saturday opener. A day break, then resume Monday.

This would add a third Saturday instead of two.

I'm not necessarily against it. I'm just recognizing that it will change the camp dynamic that had been in place for a long time.

We have hunters in camp who drive in from Colorado almost every year. They typically leave early Friday morning. Drive all day Friday and all day Saturday and get into camp Saturday evening.

Sunday is then spent checking gear, checking their hunting spots, and visiting.

A Saturday opener for them would mean either missing the opener, or leaving sometime Thanksgiving day. And that still doesn't give them a day to get everything together.

I know they can't base the opener on a few hunters from out of state. Just showing how it would change things for people.

It would be good for the kids I suppose, having an extra Saturday. Although as a kid we always worked hard to make sure I was in the woods. And I kept good grades throughout the year to make sure I could skip a few days to hunt. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for deer season that I wouldn't have had the grades I did. Getting to skip a couple days each year for hunting kept my grades up.

-Jake
Old 02-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

WOW I'M SURPRISED pa does"nt permit sunday hunting ( come on get with the times PA) but going to allow saturday opener.wish ohio would pass a saturday after thanksgiving opener . all you hear is all the mich vs ohio state game is that day or i"ll be traveling that day. make plans not to be traverling that day . i would be all for it just give me 1 extra day to hunt & i'll be there . plan & simple. as far as sunday hunting here in ohio . it is as rare as hen's teeth to see a hunter out on sunday. it's like having the woods to all yourself.starting the sat after thanksgiving would permit 2 extra days of hunting & then they could drop the extended gun season & possibly add 2 more days to the muzzleloader season . amen to that . that's what i'm going to bring up @ the open house in march for ohio.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Would be just what they did with bear season a few years back. Don't bother me none being retired but I can see where it would benefit a lot of hunters who can't get off on Monday which was the traditional opener. It might just boost the license sales too
Old 02-10-2019, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

I think it'll further reinforce the Saturday only hunting. With a Saturday opener I would expect the first Monday to be as dead as the first Tuesday had been recently.
​​​​​​
There is certainly pros and cons going either way. I suppose ultimately it doesnt matter to me either way, as I'll be sure to hunt it no matter when it opens.

My favorite days to hunt are Tuesday-Friday of the second week anyway. The woods are mostly empty and feel a little less pressured. Doe are in season. and still hunting or short two or three man drives can be very effective. And those are my favorite ways to hunt.

When the bear season changed to a Saturday opener, how did it effect all the traditional bear camps up north?

-Jake
Old 02-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

jake, was at our sportsmen's club meeting last night and a vote on the Saturday move was taken. most were not in favor of it. guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. by the way, our club is having a sportsmen's flea market on the 23 of March. if you have extra hunting, fishing, or trapping stuff you want to get rid of, here's your chance. tables are $20 per table. even if you dont have anything to sell, come browse around. if you would, please pass the word. the club is the Kiski Twp. Sportsmen's club just off rte. 156 out of Avonmore in Armstrong county.

Last edited by Mr. Slim; 02-15-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.