Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland Hunters ,Any here ? >

Maryland Hunters ,Any here ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Hunters ,Any here ?

Old 11-17-2003, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Maryland Hunters ,Any here ?

Way to go on your recent bow kills, Riverwade. From what I read on your post, you seem to be getting the hang of bow hunting pretty fast!
Where do you hunt in Baltimore County? Just curious...

Jim
Old 11-18-2003, 06:27 AM

Thanks Jim. That reminds me I need to call the guy up at the archery shop in Hanover and thank him for setting me up and fitting me to the bow I bought from him. I am so confident with this thing within 20 yards and probably wouldn' t hesitate to use my 30 yard pin either but haven' t had to use it yet. These deer were taken in Owings Mills on a farm. If it weren' t for the rain we' re about to get, I was going to try to hunt Carroll County this week in the evenings. Oh well...
Old 11-18-2003, 08:09 AM

Yall need to hit the woods,Deer are everywere.
Shot 17 yesterday evening (Crop damage) but Saw atleast 40 plus more.

Good luck everyone.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:51 AM

James, What do you do with all those deer? Do you shoot only does for crop damage or bucks as well? Just curious. I am new to hunting so I' m still learning about herd management. I was surprised to learn how many I could legally kill if I went to all the different zones and took advantage of the different seasons.(ie. bow, firearm, muzzle..) Definitely a lot of deer out there. Hardest part seems to be able to find land to hunt. Are there any clubs or hunting organizations that you know of to make it easier for newer hunters to find easier ways to gain permission from farmers and private land owners to hunt?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

A buddy of mine in Calvert got a 18 1/2 inch spread, heavy racked, 180 pound field dressed buck yesterday morning. Get out there!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Spike

im from garrett country MD more state land up this way to shake a stick at. and not hunted much at all and alot of deer every where.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:28 AM

Riverwade,

All Deer that we shoot is donated,I cannot see any deer going to waste,As there are people out there that love to have it.

As far as what I shoot,It depends on the Management permit,Most a true crop damage permits ,meaning we only take doe' s and occasionally some button bucks fall.On the other hand ,We do alot of Crop /Rubbing Damage permit management,These are generally tree farms.were the bucks destroy the young trees by rubbing them ,The tree farnmers,Nurseries take a big lose on them,But insurance will reemburse them if they show that they are trying to help stop the damage.

We usually come in /Called to do these when the farmer has got permits himself nad have had hunters say they would do it for free,but find out that a hunter or a group cannot really help ,due to time constraints and other things.

It is not an easy thing to do,Alot of paper work,Detaling plan with the DNR,Insurance,and alot of other factors.

Sad thing about it all,is after all these years of doing this,You kinda get tired of deer,I reworked my logs last night and it suprised me that in the past 5 years ,I have alone taken 1,993 deer.So I do have a little kick in me to make 2000 by the end of the year.

But there are so many deer left out there,the future is bright.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:37 AM

James, thanks for the reply. That is wild. You must be a crack shot after all those deer. What is your weapon of choice? You must also be good at gutting deer. I' ve only done two now, and know I have a ways to go. I need to get one of those Wyoming knives. They look like they just unzip the deer. Good luck on getting your next 7.

Wayne
Old 11-20-2003, 07:30 AM

Riverwade,

Many are taken with a 12 guage.Using sabots (I use Lighfields,Best I have found)
Got a Large scope 4x44 ..Like the way it draws in light.Can safely take them up to 125 yards. (No rifles allowed)

Some we take in or near residential areas,There I use a crossbow,Pretty good at 45 yards and under.

As for gutting,I use a Schrade lock blade with 2 blades ,A basic blade and a serated blade,Pretty much can gut out a deer under 2 minutes.