Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA elk check station(pic heavy) >

PA elk check station(pic heavy)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA elk check station(pic heavy)

Old 11-06-2018, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default PA elk check station(pic heavy)

Was planning on spending the day scouting/squirrel hunting with the boy but the high winds had all the squirrel hiding. So we decided to head up to the PA elk visitor center to see if any elk were brought in. Season opened Monday.

We started the day in the woods doing some scouting and saw some pretty good sign.

​​​​​​

then we headed up to Bob's army Navy and grice gun shop, his birthday is coming up and we're looking for a youth .22. got to look at and hold lots of options. Then it was on to elk country.

The elk must know it's in season cause they are laying as close to the houses as they can get! Including some really nice bulls.

this bull has a volleyball net Tangled around his antler.

One elk was brought in while we were up there, a cow. The hunter was from the allentown area and used a .300wby I believe. Double lunged her. Wish I could have stayed longer but needed to get home in time to vote.

Here's a weight chart of what has been brought in so far.

They only draw about 125 tags a year I believe. I have 7 or 8 points going into this year. I hope to one day draw this tag. It would be a special experience to be able to hunt elk in Pennsylvania.

One of our forum members Drew a tag this year, but that's his story to tell and I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 11-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Couple of updated pictures of weight and harvest numbers

Old 11-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Video at this link shows two very nice bulls that were taken.

https://wjactv.com/news/local/2018-pa-elk-hunt-kicks-off-in-benezette