HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Trail Camera Check.......Big Bear !!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/418079-trail-camera-check-big-bear.html)

BOWHUNTERCOP 05-18-2018 02:52 PM

Trail Camera Check.......Big Bear !!!

4 Attachment(s)
Went up this afternoon, had three different bears....Also a bachelor group of 4 bucks showing up, antlers are just above the hair line.....The big bear I think I got a picture of him a few weeks ago

Bocajnala 05-18-2018 03:16 PM

My first bear picture on a trail camera came about 20 minutes after I hung the camera.

-Jake

mrbb 05-18-2018 03:33 PM

nice bears the first two are most likely yast yr cubs, with the second pic MAYBE being a 3 yr old, the third pic is a much older bear very nice size, I would guess in the 375-425 lb range
best of luck getting a shot at him this season

I have had a few bears here this yr, two big males , in the 500+ lb range, and a two females, one with 2 of last yrs cubs(she ran them off 3 days ago, as she will be mating again this yr, and then a nice female with just one cub, she actually had 3 cubs last yr, but got trapped by the state, /tagged and they only managed to catch 1 cub,(other two ended up hit by a car a day later) they then moved her about 10 miles away, , she made her way back and ended up at my food plots and well on my deck for bird seed droppings, and I managed to get her tag number and get her info LOl
but loosing them cubs, , she ended up breeding again and has this one cub this yr, one of the first bears I have seen have cubs back to back yrs
it LOOKS Like a small female cub, but thats a HARD thing to ID for sure,
last yr was able to ID 19 different bears here and yr before 22, my avearve over the past 30+ yrs is about 20 a yr I see here
I don;'t hunt bears anymore, stopped about 20 yrs ago, enjoy watching them more, but GLAD others still hunt them, its a needed part of nature IMO!
so best of luck and please keep the pic's coming, I know I enjoy all you post!

Oldtimr 05-18-2018 03:54 PM

Yeah, those are not real big bears.

BOWHUNTERCOP 05-19-2018 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4335463)

the two bears are small, The one walking towards the camera is at least 400 lbs., come fall he will be at least 100 lbs heavier if not more.......you don't find 400 lb bears behind every tree..........that's like hunters going out to the midwest and expect to see 140" bucks all thru out the day

bronko22000 05-27-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4335463)

Oldtimr is right..those aren't really big bears, even the one you said is big. It is a mature bear and I wouldn't pass him up but it isn't all that big. Most people tend to overestimate a bear's weight. And I believe you did also. But it's not your fault. Bears are very hard to judge unless you've seen many in the woods and/or guided for them. I'd say he'd be hard pushed to go 300 lb. But like you said, he will be heavier come the fall.

VTBoneCollector 05-28-2018 03:31 AM

Iv'e been seeing a bear all spring when I've been out looking for turkeys. I would have to say that it's just as big if not bigger than your 3rd pic Bowhuntercop. An absolute toad for this area of Vermont. On posted land, of course.

Champlain Islander 05-29-2018 02:40 AM

First 2 are smaller bears judging by the body size and the ears but the 3rd is definitely bigger. I doubt it is 400 pounds though. At least up here it is pretty rare to have one get that large. Mature bears with a low belly and smaller cookie ears (bigger head) always look bigger at least to me than they really are. I do hear they get some big bears down in that portion of the USA though.