Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Coming soon PA.... >

Coming soon PA....

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coming soon PA....

Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Coming soon PA....

Coming to an area near you soon.... Start saving your pennies. The leasing is really kicking off this year. This started in Ohio about ten years ago. It started slow of course.. You would hear a hunter talking about "their lease" etc... Then eventually it got to the point that just about everything is leased up.

I don't blame the landowners, if they can get $10-15/acre (Or more depending on the area) per year for their property then they should. But it really changes the private access game.

This post popped up the other day and it quickly filled up with both replies offering properties and people wanting to join in with the lease.

Looking back on what happened to my areas in Ohio....If I could go back I would have paid for a certain property when all this began and hopefully got it locked down. It's now leased by 8 guys and is much more than I could afford. When one of them drops I'm hoping I can join in. I still have stands on that property that I built over the years.

-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Coming soon PA....-img_20180517_160912.jpg  

Last edited by Bocajnala; 05-17-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think leasing will very be much in PA< there are far too many game lands, federal land, and well gun clubs and hunting clubs that have hundred of thousands of acres in PA, MOST of the die hards OWN there own lands,
Ohio took off more like 20 yrs ago on leasing, Back in the late 90's early 2000's it was picking up steam really fast, all the TV hunting shows and the QUALITY of bucks in Ohio, is a major reason why it did so
PA< just ain;t got the numbers of BIG bucks YET, getting better every yr, due to less hunters IMO

Bu the t only real leasing that took off in PA< was with the natural gas company's when they were n a war with each other to be able to CLAIM they had the most acre's, but that MAD RUSH to gain leased acre's there has past and gone south on numbers and prices on most acre;s
and it sure wasn't for leasing hunting land, !
YES some will get a few hunters to lease, but I cannot ever see PA being like any of the top 5 B&C states , which last I knew OHIO was one of these
Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me, it's coming. Where I hunt in Ohio is right on the border of PA. Eastern edge of Trumbull county. And nearly everything, even places as small as 8 acres (that's the smallest I've seen), is being leased up. Allegheny County the leases are full. Once they're full, more properties will be signing up.

As a landowner, why wouldn't you sign up? $3500/year for 62 acres. Can't beat that. Split between 6 hunters that's just under 600/ year to share 62 acres with 5 other people. Ridiculous. But can't blame the landowners.

By the way, that specific lease is in southern butler county, PA... not exactly a big buck hot spot. But this is what it's going to.

I mostly feel bad for my kids. I grew up in a blessed time frame for hunting. Farmers were asking us to come shoot deer. Lots of tags, lots of access. They'd bring their tractors back to help haul them out after we got them. But leasing is changing the game.

You might not notice it this year, maybe not next year. But in 25 years, when my kids are having kids... I think things will look entirely different in the hunting world.

-Jake
Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Very little leasing here in Vermont but mostly because the Green Mountain State isn't known as a large antler location. One positive is that we have an open hunting law meaning if the private land isn't posted against trespassing we can legally hunt without permission. Times are changing though and I am sure that too will probably end up going away. It used to be that hunting was a way of life but now society doesn't see it the same way especially near the larger cities that are filled up with liberal transplants from somewhere else.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Trust me, it's coming. Where I hunt in Ohio is right on the border of PA. Eastern edge of Trumbull county. And nearly everything, even places as small as 8 acres (that's the smallest I've seen), is being leased up. Allegheny County the leases are full. Once they're full, more properties will be signing up.

As a landowner, why wouldn't you sign up? $3500/year for 62 acres. Can't beat that. Split between 6 hunters that's just under 600/ year to share 62 acres with 5 other people. Ridiculous. But can't blame the landowners.

By the way, that specific lease is in southern butler county, PA... not exactly a big buck hot spot. But this is what it's going to.

I mostly feel bad for my kids. I grew up in a blessed time frame for hunting. Farmers were asking us to come shoot deer. Lots of tags, lots of access. They'd bring their tractors back to help haul them out after we got them. But leasing is changing the game.

You might not notice it this year, maybe not next year. But in 25 years, when my kids are having kids... I think things will look entirely different in the hunting world.

-Jake
right on the border of OHIO, I can see leasing in PA< but thats a very small part of PA, and reasin its selling there is its riding on being close to the border of OHO as a selling /marketing item
price leasing of land in places that border TOP 5 states of B&C< the $$$ per acre on them borders will be twice as high or MORE due to they sell, thinking them BIG bucks don't know what a border is and will be on the other side(many times they are too LOL)
but across the state of PA, I do NOT see leasing being a big deal, all the more so with hunter numbers dropping as they are state wide
I know hundreds of PA hunters and 99% of the one';s I know are too cheap to PAY for land when they have access to so much FREE land to hunt, and again, almost ALL die hards whitetail hunters I know have either PRIME private land they got access to, or BOUGHT There own to make it was they want!
if PA had better QUALITY of land and BUCKS in more places, I would say YUP leasing will take off, but as of now, in MOST of PA< its NEVER going to happen!
just my 2 cents!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Jake, its not just coming to Pa. its here. just take a ride down my way and notice all the posted ground. a lot ground has been leased and finding open hunting is hard to find. ive noticed that since the antler restriction came into effect more and more land has been posted. between Saltsburg and Indiana, if you can find open ground you are lucky.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Slim,

yep, you're absolutely right.

I went and talked to a farmer with 220 acres that I've only turkey hunted on in the past.

And it was leased by 4 guys from Clymer for deer. No other hunting allowed. Another chunk lost.

Anybody that says "It won't happen here" is in for a surprise.

-Jake
Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Jake, i did find some open fields for groundhog hunting up near Penn Run. was looking for hay for the wifes guinea pigs and ended up calling a farm up there that had second cut hay from last year. i asked about hunting groundhogs and was told to come up any time. just waiting for them to make the first cut and ill be making a trip to help them out.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

I do allot of hunting around penn run. Our camp is in Kenwood. Probably some of my grounds!

-Jake
Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a webpage I just found just for Indiana county.... over 60 farms listed as already leased, or available to be leased.

Again... Indiana county is not the border of Ohio, or the border of any big buck country.

This is the way hunting is going to.

Many of these leases are around $20/acre....

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.