Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Baiting squirrels legal in pa? >

Baiting squirrels legal in pa?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Baiting squirrels legal in pa?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Baiting squirrels legal in pa?

i was wanting to bushwhack a limit or two of squirrels before season ends... Haven't seen anything saying it's illegal to bait squirrels... Anybody have any ifo
Old 02-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing nobody can't say yes... so I'll take it as a no... I'm sure if it was illegal there would of been a gaggle of people with a rope
Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say no
Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty sure the law is no.

Baiting
Baiting is allowed in the Southeast Special Regulations Area by permit only. Elsewhere in the state, it is unlawful to hunt in or around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been baited before they begin hunting. They should physically inspect the area and question landowners, guides and caretakers. This section does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted farming or habitat-management practices are taking place (example: hunting near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or manmade nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

Why on earth would anybody wish to expend all the work to bait squirrels ?????? some of the easiest to hunt and shoot critters in the woods
Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

its illegal to place bait out with intentions of hunting over it, or even NEAR it
so its a BIG NO
call the 800 number and ask if you want to hear it from a warden?
quite honestly its actually illegal to feed wild animals in PA period, just many times a blind eye is turned when folks feed song birds and such, or run feeders in the OFF season
but its still pretty much illegal to do so in PA
says so in the rule book too!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Except for a few counties in the shotgun area of the state where a limited amount of bait is legal for deer only, using bait for ANY game animal is illegal and killing over bait would cost you your license! That big book you receive with your hunting license tells you very plainly what you want to do is illegal. It would be in your benefit to read it cover to cover. I can't imagine a hunter so poor in skills that they would need to bait squirrels to shoot a limit.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

dont think it legal to bait squirrels but you could try a squirrel call. they are legal to use.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mouth calls are legal, electronic calls would not be legal.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read the book and I didn't see that... You almost have to be a lawyer to interpret the rules and regulation... I just asked a question that's all... I'm not a poacher I'm not a rapist I'm not a child molester... Actually I'm a pretty good decent hard working white man that just likes to sit in my ground blind and shoot a couple squirrels... You guys love you some bashin don't ya...

Gotta be careful when you say the dirty word bait in a pa forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.