Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anyone else not seeing many deer in PA? >

Anyone else not seeing many deer in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone else not seeing many deer in PA?

Old 11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone else not seeing many deer in PA?

worst year i have ever experienced. not many sightings at all. by this time every year i usually have a doe down and am passing smaller bucks waiting for a good one. granted i haven' t hunted as much due to lots of extra work this year and the weather is not cooperating very well with this warm spell. saturday i entered the woods in the dark in the morning and came out in the dark at night. roughly 11 to 12 hours without a deer sighting. i know a lot has to do with movement, like moon phase, barometric pressure, temperature and so on. this has happened the last three times out. i' ve been hunting this private land for 12 years and i know they are there cause i have a lot of pictures from stealth cam before someone stole it two weeks ago. ok! done venting. cooler weather and the rut is on the way. good luck to all.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:29 PM

I from Schuylkill Co as well and my season is the worst yet in my 12 yrs of bowhunting. I was on vacation all last week and the only deer that i seen was when i was walking out in the darkness. prior to that 2 doe since the season started.[X(]
Old 11-04-2003, 06:06 AM

Well now, how can that be? You guys must be lousy hunters. Gary Alt says the woods are full of deer!
Old 11-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mike,

Yep, even though we have harvested more deer in the last few years than ever before, there are still tons of deer to be had.....

Well, I believe that statement to be partly true. I am sure there are still quite a few deer out there but not anywhere near as many as are being reported.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Gary Alt says the woods are full of deer!
Haha, some people believed Jim Jones in Guyana, too. Look what happened to them![&:]

I dunno if it was the over-slaughter of does in recent years, the harsh winter last year, a combo of both, or what, but I know in 4D we saw about 1/10th the deer this year of what we normally do, and our whole crew got skunked to boot during bow season--a definate rarity. Not good at all-- we even get deer quicker than that here at home most years![]

I sure hope it turns around, or it will be one of those---" I remember when PA used to have alot of deer, saw them almost every time you sat a stand, sure was nice......." Good luck to those still trying down there this year. Pinwheel 12
Old 11-04-2003, 10:07 AM

maybe if this darn heat wave goes away we' ll see some ,the last deer i saw in the woods was before this heat wave and she was too far to shoot! haven' t seen a buck one!
Old 11-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must of found 20 or more dead deer in the woods this spring and the DNR told me they prob found around 50 or more. I have not seen a deer or any deer sign in the woods at all this fall in Western Md. Lucky for me I had a nice Farm in Carrol Co. to hhunt on this year or my deer season would of been lousy....
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I am the oddball here. I am seeing tons and tons of deer. This archery season I have been averaging about 8-12 deer a night. It is getting good though now is definitly the time to be in the woods. I think I passed up 6 bucks this year in archery and then when I had my heart set on a giant six point that would put many 8-10s to shame w/ the mass he had, I ended up hitting a branch and deflecting high. Something to kick myself over all season I guess. Even in our property in Bradford county I saw a good amount of deer, during the early muzzleloader season. Best of luck to everyone
Old 11-09-2003, 11:54 AM

Kyle3, stick to that private land as us on the state lands ain' t seeing much deer. I' ve seen as many bears as I have deer this year!