HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY, Turkey hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/406563-ny-turkey-hunting.html)

biglever 05-17-2016 06:48 AM

NY, Turkey hunting

How is your season going so far.
Mine not so good.
Seem before the season opened, I herd gobbling
And seen the toms struting
Now , nothing.

Uncle Nicky 05-18-2016 03:29 AM

It has been a tough year, all across the Mid-Atlantic states. Birds just don't seem to want to gobble this year. Most guys I know who have killed them have either set up in a field with decoys or ambushed them coming back & forth from the roost. Good luck, maybe they'll fire up before the season ends?

biglever 05-18-2016 04:12 PM

Thanks for the post.
Iam headed out in am.

maytom 05-26-2016 01:50 AM

I haven't seen a gobbler yet!!! Called in 7 jakes one morning but that was it. No Gobbling, very tuff season this year!!!

biglever 05-26-2016 02:53 AM

Its weird for sure.
Haven't seen very many hen's , I have maybe 3 that come by my house every day to clean up the bird seed under my bird feeders.
Still have the six Jake's that come by every other day
Or so. And two long beards , that swing by once or twice a week.
I go out in the woods , and can't get a single gobble.
With so few hens , you would think they would be going crazy looking for a hen.?

muzzlestuffer 05-26-2016 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by biglever (Post 4259808)
Its weird for sure.
Haven't seen very many hen's , I have maybe 3 that come by my house every day to clean up the bird seed under my bird feeders.
Still have the six Jake's that come by every other day
Or so. And two long beards , that swing by once or twice a week.
I go out in the woods , and can't get a single gobble.
With so few hens , you would think they would be going crazy looking for a hen.?

What part of new York are you in ?

Topgun 3006 05-26-2016 11:32 AM

It has been a very strange year here in MI too in that a few days the birds seemed to go nuts gobbling and many guys said the birds would then come in silent to the call. However, most days were very quiet for me down here and up north and it was more like deer hunting and just waiting for one to come by. I had six gobblers spotted on a piece of property up north while scouting the first 2 days of the 11 I spent up there and did not see any the rest of the actual time spent hunting them. I finally called two Jakes in late the last morning on the 18th before I headed home and shot the biggest one, so at least I'll have some tasty meat again!

biglever 05-26-2016 01:16 PM

Muzzlestuffer
Capital dist.

muzzlestuffer 05-30-2016 01:58 PM

not familiar with that area i was going to give you a couple areas to try but i was from western new york.

Western MA Hunter 05-31-2016 10:20 AM

slow year not much action... managed to get one

biglever 06-04-2016 12:37 PM

last day

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter (Post 4260522)
slow year not much action... managed to get one

At 11:55 the six jake's
Were at My house all fliping me the bird.
I want the leader of that group, he's been chasing my two long beards out of the yard.
He thinks he's hot stuff.
I can wait till this fall.