Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

1 Buck

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default 1 Buck

Who agrees the we should shoot only one buck per season. Rich
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Banned

so long as it is legal, shoot as many as you want.
if herd cannot support it then it is job of local fish and game to detirmine what herd can sustain and change laws accordingly.
here in idaho ,I am only allowed one deer per season
Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, you don't want wildlife managed by acclimation. The wildlife managers know a lot more than hunters about the big picture. The problem with hunter demands is they are based on the small area they hunt. Then of course when it comes to deer, it is usually demands for more of them which is what got my state into an huge overpopulation situation for decades until there were finally enough members of the BOC who decided to do what was right for the resource instead of catering to hunter and legislative demands.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

RWK, I don't hunt New York. But from my experience in PA..... I think it really need to depend on your specific area.... As example... I have farms I hunt in PA where I can see 30-50 deer in an all day hunt. I have other areas where I could hunt all day, put on drives whatever where I may see 0 or just a few. So hunters need to pay attention to what the population is around them. The Game Commission may issue more tags than what is good for your property, but for another property it may be not enough.
-Jake
Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Let the people who are paid to make those decisions make them. They know more about the herd and it's condition than hunters that have their own agenda. What works in one area will not work in another area of that same state. What works in one state will not work in another.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Like others have said, it's all dependent on the area you hunt, and what the wildlife biologists determine is appropriate. Personally, I'd rather see less does shot than what a lot of guys take around here. Not a trophy hunter anyway, so I don't have a problem shooting more than 1 buck where it's legal.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Banned

the fish and game is not a perfect agency. what gov entity is?
sometimes they can be a bit slow lowering # OF TAGS and herd gets decimated because of it. let's face it , money is their first priority not the game nor the hunters.
there is a saying here, " if fish and game were put in charge of managing a beach, there would soon be no sand to be found."
sadly that is true ,though not entirely their fault.most hunters would cry about how little game there is , even while shooting the very last doe.
that said, they are also the best we have, until someone has a better idea. without these agencies , we would no longer have anything to hunt, period. that is the truth many(not all or even most but many) hunters wish to ignore in there hatred of regs.

it is commendable for hunters to limit themselves to less then what is legal, when they see the herds declining. but reality is until fish and game lowers limits , a couple hunters restraining themselves, though their intentions are good and right, is going to do little in the way of saving the herd. because the reality is most do not even think about such things until it is to late.

thus the need for management agencies.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:15 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

This week i spoke with a young lad and he said he got 5 deer, thats wrong 3 were bucks.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why is it wrong, didn't you get one? For one person to kill 3 buck in a season there must be a good supply of them.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Banned

like I said , if it's legal ,it ain't wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.