Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Got attacked Monday morning >

Got attacked Monday morning

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Got attacked Monday morning

Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Got attacked Monday morning

I was going home after hunting the morning. As I came out of the woods and walking across an old strip mined area that was sparsely grown up with black and white birch I saw a bird take off and heading right toward me. At first I thought it was a grouse. It was about 6' off the ground and coming right at me. As I continued walking I thought, this knucklehead is going to fly right into me. At about 10-15' away I started to raise my bow to block it and it made a quick course change. As it flew by I saw it was a sharp-shinned hawk. It landed in a tree about 20 yards past me just staring at me. I've had owls come close to me in the early light or at dusk. But never a hawk in broad daylight! I don't know what he thought I was. I mean, even with my face paint on I think he should have known I was a bit much for him to carry away at 220 lbs!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hawks can be highly aggressive if you are in an area that they have a kill or a mate. I've had the same thing happen a few times in Pa with Red Tails. Them buggers are mean!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to wear glasses before I had lasik. I had the same thing happen when deer hunting out of a tree stand along a field. I could see it flying straight at me getting closer and closer and pulled my bow up to protect my face when it veered off. All I could think of is it was attracted to the glint off the glasses. I had a camo mask on with the cutouts for the glasses.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I can say the same has happened to me while in my tree stand in early mornings and late evenings. Once by a hawk and a half dozen times by owls. It is actually quite hair raising the first time.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was hair raising to me EVERY time. Them talons are sharp! Me likes my eyes just exactly where they are located thank you very much!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sitting in my stand before light I got hit by something, scared the you know what out of me. Come daylight , there's an owl poking his head out of the tree 5 yds in front of me. Just glad it wasn't a huge bat.