HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Redden State Forest (DE) Youth (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/398179-redden-state-forest-de-youth.html)

JoeDMH 03-10-2015 12:42 PM

Redden State Forest (DE) Youth

I am Looking to take my Daughter out this year for her First Youth Turkey Hunt. By what i have read and been told Redden State Forest is a good place to try. I would like to know what tracts you could recommend to me for scouting. I live in northern De so my time is limited to the weekend to scout, any help will go a long way.

TrapperRob 03-11-2015 05:17 PM

Redden State Forest does have a really good turkey population, I think you would be good at most tracts. I see you are from Newark, have you considered Blackbird Stare Forest? Are you tied to Redden for some reason? I have hunted Blackbird Forest numerous times. I would go there if you are coming from Newark! I hunted the Cypress Complex, I have seen lots of birds there, I haven't been scouting this year but a friend of mine who works for the forest service says that a lot of turkeys are in area. When I hunted there last year, I noticed a lot of activity I the south east part of the area near the boundry for the white road tract. Good luck, I hope your daughter gets a bird!

JoeDMH 03-11-2015 05:55 PM

Hey trapperrob thanks for the great information i really appreciate it. I am not set on a certain area, i just knew that Reeden has a good size turkey population. Just trying to maximize the odds for my daughter. Also thanks for the information about blackbird, i was planing on scouting there this weekend coming up so thats good news as well.

RonM 03-24-2015 10:17 AM

I would stick with BB also, plenty of turkeys around here and not so far to drive. Scout along the Dexters Corner are , I think they call it the White Oak Tract, always a few turkeys in tha area, also I think you need a reservation for State ground.......

JoeDMH 03-24-2015 10:46 AM

Hey, Ron i really appreciate your input for BB. I have decided to take my daughter here and have scouted a couple of areas and plan to scout this weekend as well, I have not made it over to that tract yet but I will check it out thanks again for the help.

For the youth hunt you do not need to have a "reservation" for the youth hunt.

Here is the information right from the hunting guide if anyone else is wanting to get a youth out there for Youth turkey day.

YOUTH/NONAMBULATORY DISABLED TURKEY HUNT, APRIL 4, 2015 Open statewide.
Any youth from 10 years to 15 years and non-ambulatory disabled individuals may hunt.
Young hunters must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
Hunters 13-15 years old must have a valid Delaware junior hunting license and must have taken a Basic Hunter Safety course as well as a Delaware approved turkey hunter safety course.
The normal bag limits and regulations apply. Adult companions must be licensed to hunt in Delaware and must have taken a Delaware approved turkey hunter safety class.
Adult companions may not possess a firearm during the hunt. Young hunters must be of sufficient size and physical strength to safely handle a firearm.

• All turkeys taken must be registered. • All state wildlife areas and state forests open for turkey hunting will be open for the Youth/ Non-Ambulatory Disabled Turkey Hunt.

Hunters may go to any areas they choose. If overcrowding occurs, the Division may add this hunt to its pre-season lottery system in future seasons.