Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Not tagging your buck in pa >

Not tagging your buck in pa

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Not tagging your buck in pa

Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is easier to make assumptions about what happened than to think about the possibilities about what may have happened. As a matter of fact, if all there was was a shot and no witnessing of a deer being shot a deer may not have been shot, usually there are other seasons open in archery season. Did he call the DEC back to see if an investigation was conducted? Easier to be a naysayer .

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-08-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
How does one know that no follow up occurred? Also, a random call like this, DEC shows up, asks the hunter about it, he says "nope", now what?
Guys, this is not an embellished story; perhaps my use of the word "tale" is being taken far too literally.

Substitute the term cautionary tale.

Here's the deal- law enforcement is decidedly not black and white, turns out it's mostly grey.

I know, you don't like that; neither did I.

BobH-
Small town grapevine; the deer was hanging just as I said it would be.
Because I did not "witness" the shot...

Also as I mentioned, there was some blowback from the neighbor in regard to the call, which is why I hesitated initially.

Think what you will; however, this is a small town. Although I moved here as a kid, the ties which bind here are long and tight.

I went to school with most of the guys who are now LEOs.I see and speak with our Forest ranger and DEC officer fairly regularly. I know whereof I speak.

As to the OP's initial query, my reply remains the same: if you think appropriate action will be taken, then by all means proceed.
Be prepared, though, that things may not go the way you expect.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-08-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Never a permanent place

I'm sure the owner legally wanted to decrease the number of deer on the farm. And poachers are attracted by game.

Remember deer herds can go up; deer herds can come down. Will you be ready for the change of locations.

And as for poachers, deer hunters have the right to call the game officials. Some do; some don't.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

I would turn them in. it makes all hunters look bad when some poach. wether I agree with a law or not, I respect the law enough to obey it. IF i DON'T AGREE WITH IT I try to get it changed but I do not break it. I expect others to do the same. either we are a country of law or we are not
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I see poaching like it's a form of stealing. Would you not call the police if your neighbors had something stolen and your info could help? It may not get them "arrested" but the wardens will keep him under their surveillance.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr. Longbeard
opening morning i'm walking into my ladder stand. I walk up on what i think is a pretty nice buck... 8-9 pt about 16" or so inside spread.... I walk up on this deer and blind it with my little mini mag flash light this thing is like 100 lumens its bright!!! Anyhow i walk up to less than 10 yards and pretty much have to scare him off because he is right by my ladder stand... I get in stand and 5-10 min before legal shooting light i hear guns goin off like crazy on naboring farm... I'm sure they were lettin the air out of does like crazy because i must of seen 20+ run in the direction of the gun fire... Anyhow a nice 6 pt pops out of hedge row maybe 50 yards from my stand and i decide to let him have it... I get down and check him out and then tag him with my buck tag... The guy who owns farm calls me to see how i did and i let him know i got one and he ask if it's ok to call this other guy and let him hunt evening... So i'm getting deer in my truck when other guy and son show up... There asking me what stand i shot it out of and how many deer i seen(they hunt this farm way more than i do!!!!!! And they know the deer pretty good... So he checks my 6pt and says he's seen him before and i tell him about my encounter with buck at dark and he said "i'd of shot him" i'm like that takes all the fun out of it... They haul *** into the farm... I roll out to take care of my buck.... I get a call from land owner and he tells me guy and son both killed bucks... I know for a fact that last year these guys shot more than one buck each with bow and i know they've done it again this year... It really pisses me off that this knuckle head is doing this... This farm is over run with deer and there is no shortage of deer!!!! But i want to call the game commission on him but i'm afraid they won't catch him...
rat them slobs out !!!!! Do it!!!

Hj
Old 12-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make the call with whatever information you have and let the appropriate authorities take it from there. This is a situation where you can't assume anything, especially just because someone posts and is down on law enforcement due to an incident he didn't even report because he assumed nothing would be done.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-17-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd mention it to the landowner first, you possibly could lose permission to hunt there depending on their relationship to the owner.
RR
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

This:

Originally Posted by kidoggy
...wether I agree with a law or not, I respect the law enough to obey it. IF i DON'T AGREE WITH IT I try to get it changed but I do not break it. I expect others to do the same. either we are a country of law or we are not

and this:

Originally Posted by stapher1
I see poaching like it's a form of stealing... It may not get them "arrested" but the wardens will keep him under their surveillance.

+2
Old 12-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If a landowner is going to not let you hunt because you turn in a poacher, you probably shouldn't be hunting that property anyway. It seems most of the reasons not to turn in poachers are usually self serving. Not directed at you RR. That is how poachers can continue to operate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.