Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Doe application due >

PA Doe application due

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Doe application due

Old 09-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Gotta agree with Jack, many of the hunting laws in PA are strange and hard to decipher, I've never seen a rule book for any other state that is as large as ours. Try making sense out of the "fluorescent orange" rules, or laws on shooting dogs that are chasing deer. Try asking a CO what the rules are on hunting un-posted land, or what the rule is on quartering your deer in the field (as opposed to dragging it back to your truck). For us who've lived here a while, they're probably second nature.
I am really down with you on the quartering of your Deer in the woods to get it out. Where I rifle hunt in Pike County I hunt a spot that takes 90 min to get to, and I gotta drag/deer cart a Buck out from the Land that time forgot. Not a spring chicken no more but I still hump it back there because it my most special place to hunt. I would love to 1/4 a deer up and pack it out on my back. The DCO that I work/hunt with down in Bucks co say's you can 1/4 a deer up and pack it out. On the other hand I had 2 WCO's up in the Big Wood's of Pike say you CAN'T 1/4 a Deer in the woods,must drag/cart it. Who do I believe when the WCO hands me the fine IF? I do 1/4 a deer up? Which I don't! because you can't get the same answer from 3 different DCO/WCO's ??? Is this Black and White or is it a light shade of Grey? Make's sense to me. Its a win/win. You get your Deer out the Best way, and whats left in the woods is a feast for the Lucky critter's that dine over your remains. Either way a straight answer would be nice from the PGC. NOT!!! Have a nice Day. Be Safe!

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see the cut up in the woods argument, it's such a foreign concept in most of the east, but out west the attitude is why would you do anything except quarter it where it falls?

I know it's illegal in NH as we have to bring the entire deer (field dressed ok) to a check station, but PA doesn't do that, nobody looks at your deer, so why not?

When you can't get a consistent answer from WCO, then I'd say you found a grey area, but honestly many of the things brought up in this thread are black/white, just illogical.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would say it is not a grey area. The law states when a deer is killed the head must remain attached in a natural manner to the carcass. The law also provides that if the head is not attached, the hunter must upon demand take the officer to where the head and proof of sex will be found. So, if you want to quarter your deer, leave the head and neck attached to one quarter or be prepared to take a walk. One thing about PA hunters, if they are not complaining they are not happy and will look for something to complain about.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

You can quarter a deer or bear.You just have to have the head and proof of sex.Just because a WCO or deputy tells you something,doesn't make it so.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dougl
You can quarter a deer or bear.You just have to have the head and proof of sex.Just because a WCO or deputy tells you something,doesn't make it so.
Not going to argue this point any longer, but doesn't the fact that the WCOs aren't aware of all of the rules just back up the fact that there are just too many rules that aren't presented to us in an easy-to-understand fashion? And with that in mind, Oldtimr is a retired game warden...so should we dismissing his logic as bunk as well?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

There's lot's of stupid laws and ordinances on the books that make no sense.Pa doesn't have a patent on that.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my DCO Buddy today look into the 1/4 of a Deer today. He called WCO John Pappas of Bucks co who then called the Reading PGC headquarters. He was told you CAN 1/4 a Deer in the woods to get it out. Its must be tagged correctly and the head taken with you along with your meat. The Game Warden can be taken back to the site if he thinks there is foul play. Then he can take DNA to see if its the same Deer.Here's another one to ponder that I don't understand. Why can't you use Bloodhound Tracking Dog's to find your Deer?

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Not going to argue this point any longer, but doesn't the fact that the WCOs aren't aware of all of the rules just back up the fact that there are just too many rules that aren't presented to us in an easy-to-understand fashion? And with that in mind, Oldtimr is a retired game warden...so should we dismissing his logic as bunk as well?
Really? That clears things up a little.

Hatchet Jack

Last edited by hatchet jack; 09-04-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougl
That's for sure, and you are correct on the 1/4 of a Deer.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would say it is not a grey area. The law states when a deer is killed the head must remain attached in a natural manner to the carcass. The law also provides that if the head is not attached, the hunter must upon demand take the officer to where the head and proof of sex will be found. So, if you want to quarter your deer, leave the head and neck attached to one quarter or be prepared to take a walk. One thing about PA hunters, if they are not complaining they are not happy and will look for something to complain about.
What page in the Pa Hunting and Trapping Digest does it state this law? I am not complainingBUT. It would of been nice to know that when I was told by 2 WCO's up in Pike County that you can't , and you can 1/4 a Deer???? My Bad ! I guess I made a a mistake thinking the Warden should know the Law, and I don't see it in the Digest. Maybe I missed it. I will read the Digest again. If its in there I stand corrected.

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.