Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Doe application due >

PA Doe application due

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Doe application due

Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

LOL.You really have no idea what you're talking about.Clearcuts are excellent habitat and have the highest carrying capacity of any forest type.The problem is,after about 12 years it turns into pole timber growing out of the deer's reach.When that happens the carrying plummets and that same area will support less than 5 dpsm.It will stay like that for at least 50 years until it starts producing mast and lets some light in for a mid level understory to develop.That's right,mature timber should have browse in the form of a mid level understory.At that time,the carrying capacity will be able to handle more deer.Pa was faced with an even aged stand of timber because the entire northern part of the state was clearcut in the early 1900's.It was great habitat for a while and the deer population exploded.Now they're trying to cut just enough so there's a continual mix of different forest compositions.If they cut too much(more than 1%)than we'll be faced with too much pole timber and low carrying capacities again.

The PGC and DCNR BOTH JUST STARTED DOING CONTROLLED BURNS BUT THEY DON'T DO IT IN PLACE OF CLEARCUTS.The reason they didn't do it before was because the guy starting the fire was liability.Legislation was passed a few years that took thatliability away.Still,it takes a lot of manpower,you have a short window in the spring to do it and weather conditions have to be perfect.

The understory is coming back in many places now that there's less deer.Up until 5 years ago,DCNR HAD TO FENCE EVERY SINGLE timber sale in district 9.They haven't fenced a cut since then and they also took every one of the units in that district out of dmap because they're getting the regeneration they want.Elk state forest cut way back on the number of fences over the past several years but now they're fencing more because the deer herd is increasing.

Again,deer only eat laurel if they have nothing else to eat.

A clearcut will be worthless after 20 years and it will stay that way for another thirty years or so.You need a mix of forest compositions but early succerssional forests will always support more deer.Only certain trees die when they reach about 15 feet.Fire cherry is a good example.It's a highly prefered browse species but eventually dies and lets more light in.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you for reading information to me from the internet. As a former logging employee, I needed the update. I am done here. It seems odd that all the know-it-alls never have any kind of home area posted.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Dubois,Clearfield county if that's all that important to you.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doug, the naysayer gunplumber was on HPA as well. Not worth your time to argue with him.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gunplumer, a logging employee is a guy with a chainsaw and a truck and maybe two or three teeth. A forester is a person with a degree in Silviculture who selects the trees for the the logger employee to cut down. Guess which one actually knows anything about forestry and forest generation after a clear cut. My money is on the guy with more than a saw and a truck.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-25-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that it's not worth it to argue with people like that.However,when they spew crap that just isn't true,the record needs to be set strait.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dougl
I agree that it's not worth it to argue with people like that.However,when they spew crap that just isn't true,the record needs to be set strait.
dougl- sounds like you've lived here a while. No shortage of guys in this state still living in the deer hunting glory days, who can't seem to get their mind around what has happened and is still currently happening (some good, some bad, and some just plain different) in this state. They hang on the phrase "tradition", but I often wonder if there is lead in the water they are drinking. Don't even bring up the topic of Sunday hunting, or all holy he** breaks loose....
Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
dougl- sounds like you've lived here a while. No shortage of guys in this state still living in the deer hunting glory days, who can't seem to get their mind around what has happened and is still currently happening (some good, some bad, and some just plain different) in this state. They hang on the phrase "tradition", but I often wonder if there is lead in the water they are drinking. Don't even bring up the topic of Sunday hunting, or all holy he** breaks loose....
Sunday hunting? We have Sunday Hunting. Crows! LOL!!!! When will this State come out of the STONE AGE?

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
Sunday hunting? We have Sunday Hunting. Crows! LOL!!!! When will this State come out of the STONE AGE?

Hatchet Jack
Hopefully, some day before I am too old to climb these hills. But I'm not holding my breath!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Hopefully, some day before I am too old to climb these hills. But I'm not holding my breath!
One of the reasons I hunt Ohio and NJ. PA game Laws are one big GRAY AREA!

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.