Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Doe application due >

PA Doe application due

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Doe application due

Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Are you a new hunter or what? You sound like someone that watches a lot of deer videos. There is no hunting pressure because the herd was decimated in the Alt years (Probably before you were hunting). Deer do not just "spill over" from areas that still have large amounts of deer. It takes a long time for deer to come back in areas that were literally wiped out. I hunted places years back that had a line of guys every 50 yards on top, in the middle, and the bottom of mountains. Now you can walk all day and be lucky to see 4 hunters. No deer=no hunters. It is not unusual during bumper crop years for acorns to see piles of them rotting on the ground in april. The PAGC is finally trying to do the right thing. Around here they are starting to use controlled burns to improve habitat. Years back "Improving habitat" meant rapeing the forest of any good saw logs and planting bushes that choked out anything of value. Maybe they (PAGC) are finally headed in the right direction. Alt is gone from PA. Good riddance.
This sounds like the same Mountains I hunt in Pike CO. No Hunters. Gee I wonder why? Where have you gone G.Alt???

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Nope,I've been hunting for over 35 years and I don't watch phony hunting videos.I hunt the big woods of northcentral Pa and never hunted over or near a food plot either.First of all,if there's no pressure and sufficient food,it doesn't take long at all for deer to increase numbers.If there's no pressure and few deer,you most likley have a habitat problem.That's a fact.Second,healthy acorns don't rot,they sprout.If you're finding rotten acorns,they were most likely infected by a weavil and were rotten before the deer had a chance to eat them.It's a common problem and when you scout,you really should be picking up the acorns to see if they're edible.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
You will never hear me complain about logging. BUT! The drilling going on in our GREAT STATE is a spike in my eye. Even tho its regenerating the good habitat that it destroyed. ITS A GIANT CLUSTER F*&^!! and money grab for the Harrisburg HACKS/GASMEN!!!!

Hatchet Jack
You do realize that the PGC doesn't own the gas rights on most of the state game lands.In many cases there's very little they can do to stop it and about the best they can do is negotiate surface disturbance.Also,a high percentage of the gas leases that the PGC did negotiate on the SGL's involved no drilling on the property.They negotiated the drilling to be done off the game lands but will get royalties because the drilling is going under them with nothing on the surface being disturbed.If you own land but don't own the gas rights,you have very little rights.The gas companies can come on to drill and there's very little you can do about it.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougl
Nope,I've been hunting for over 35 years and I don't watch phony hunting videos.I hunt the big woods of northcentral Pa and never hunted over or near a food plot either.First of all,if there's no pressure and sufficient food,it doesn't take long at all for deer to increase numbers.If there's no pressure and few deer,you most likley have a habitat problem.That's a fact.Second,healthy acorns don't rot,they sprout.If you're finding rotten acorns,they were most likely infected by a weavil and were rotten before the deer had a chance to eat them.It's a common problem and when you scout,you really should be picking up the acorns to see if they're edible.
I always check them when scouting! Couple years ago I learned to stop biting them to crack them open. Besides bad for your teeth, when you find a piece of a worm in one... .yuck.

I cut them open now
Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Typical Buck

Acorns piled above leaves do not sprout, they lay their until they rot. That should say something for the decline in turkey in our area too. Chestnut oak are known for wormy nuts. The majority of the oaks where I used to hunt are white and red. I used to log when I was younger, so I don't need lessons from a know it all. I am guessing that you think the whole state is exactly the same terrain. It is not. Stop posting stupid statements and answer the question. Why are large segments of the state now dropping back on doe tags and dropping back to a 1 week doe season if your version of the deer herd is true? You actually think that a deer herd can not be shot out, even with good food and cover?

Last edited by Gunplummer; 08-09-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Healthy acorns do not rot by spring.They sprout.If you find a rotten acorn in the spring,it most likely wasn't edible in the fall and that goes for both red and white acorns.The whole state is not the same terrain.The forest composition can change in a relatively short distance and the carrying capacity will change right along with it.Only about 40% of Pa's land mass is oak/hickory so the remaining 60% will have no acorns anyway.If there's little pressure and the deer herd isn't growing,you have a habitat issue,plain and simple.Adding more deer to poor habitat is the dumbest thing you can do.

The decrease in allocations and season length was against the biologists and foresters recommendations.It was done purely for political reasons by the BOC.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougl
You do realize that the PGC doesn't own the gas rights on most of the state game lands.In many cases there's very little they can do to stop it and about the best they can do is negotiate surface disturbance.Also,a high percentage of the gas leases that the PGC did negotiate on the SGL's involved no drilling on the property.They negotiated the drilling to be done off the game lands but will get royalties because the drilling is going under them with nothing on the surface being disturbed.If you own land but don't own the gas rights,you have very little rights.The gas companies can come on to drill and there's very little you can do about it.
i don't care who own's the gas rights or who is getting royalties and negotiate surface disturbance, ect,ect,ect! Crumb Bag Gas GUV sold out our state to help get elected. Then he lets them off the Tax hook when they rack in BILLIONS!!! What a JOKE!!!! Oh thats right he created Jobs . Yeah for the trash throwing OUT OF STATER'S. It STINKS!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many people have gas stoves, gas heat, gas fireplaces???? Where are we supposed to get the gas?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

All that matters is more deer.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
How many people have gas stoves, gas heat, gas fireplaces???? Where are we supposed to get the gas?
Your Kidding ? I think? How did people get gas before the major Drilling/raping of our land? Maybe propane, maybe oil, maybe candle light with their Horse and Buggy. I know people are making big MONEY letting the Gas Co drill on there land. Thats hard to turn down. But the people of the state should be reaping more benefits like education, road and bridge repair and the elderly. These's PIGS are making Billions and are being taxed at one of the lowest rates in the country. Thanks to the Harrisburg CRUMBS/ Hatchet Man Corbett!! IT FRACKING SUCKS! I think the DEER think so to.

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.