Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Game Commission Finally >

PA Game Commission Finally

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Game Commission Finally

Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I am not overly impressed with the "Not trying hard enough" insinuation either. I once shot a heavy bodied buck a little after 7:00 AM and was still about 200 yards from a road at 5:00 PM. A couple locals saw me and helped me drag it to the road.
Sometimes I take birdseed along if I plan to sit all day. Put some on a boulder and watch the different birds stop by. I like to walk once the hunting calms down, but the last few years it does not calm down. You bump into a lot of hunters sneaking around or just checking for new deer sign. Most of these guys seem to know what they are doing.
I realize there are good years and bad years. A bad acorn crop will ruin the rifle season for me in a hurry. I don't hunt the "Corn woods" like a lot of Gary Alt followers. The herd needed to be thinned down in the 80's, but there is a point when you must ease up. All the studies done don't seem to touch on what the over pressure is doing to a deer "Family group". Young deer learn from older deer. The first Gary Alt line of crap was "Only shoot big does". I have watched (Years back) small herds running around confused after the lead doe was shot. They simply did not know what to do. There has been more damage done to the deer herd than depletion.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NeverWill
Alt's plan of the next Ill was a complete total failure.
That was never the plan. He succeeded in what the state wanted done ( with the I gotta kill 5 deer a yr crowd ).
Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
That was never the plan. He succeeded in what the state wanted done ( with the I gotta kill 5 deer a yr crowd ).
He was just a shill Salesman for the MAN. Great at Bear! Did not no SH&% about Deer!

Hatchet Jack
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
He was just a shill Salesman for the MAN. Great at Bear! Did not no SH&% about Deer!

Hatchet Jack
You got it.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

When Alt was the "Bear Guy", just what did he do? What a bunch of crap. I used to hear that all the time and then when I asked just what he did for PA bears, nobody knew. The only thing I saw come out of his work was a bear stamp. He just got lucky and rode the bear population explosion. Over where I am at the bear were spilling over from Jersey.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
When Alt was the "Bear Guy", just what did he do? What a bunch of crap. I used to hear that all the time and then when I asked just what he did for PA bears, nobody knew. The only thing I saw come out of his work was a bear stamp. He just got lucky and rode the bear population explosion. Over where I am at the bear were spilling over from Jersey.
I can't say what he did, but when he took over as the BEAR MAN in the early 70"s there were very little Bears to hunt. By the 80's Hunters were able to start hunting for Bears with a limit on the tags sold. By the 90's the Bear numbers started to go way up. We now have Bears in just about every county in the state. We also have some of the biggest Black Bears in the country. Did G.Alt have anything to do with the Bear population in PA? I would think he did. I ran into him a few times in Pike county. He was traping Bears near my Camp [Delaware State Forrest} . He was a bit of a Flake.

Hatchet Jack
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck to all going out Turkey Hunting 2morro! Be Safe!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Hatchetjack, You should know better, being from Bucks County. I worked down there for years and when the bears started moving in, they were spilling over from Jersey. We get them up here too. Nobody can say what Alt did for the bear population because he did nothing but run around and dart bears and have fun. Alt may know a lot about bears, but he did NOTHING in PA to cause the bear population explosion. That is a front started by the Game Commission to give him some validation when he took over the deer management.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Gunplummer;4138197]Hatchetjack, You should know better, being from Bucks County. I worked down there for years and when the bears started moving in, they were spilling over from Jersey. We get them up here too. Nobody can say what Alt did for the bear population because he did nothing but run around and dart bears and have fun. Alt may know a lot about bears, but he did NOTHING in PA to cause the bear population explosion. That is a front started by the Game Commission to give him some validation when he took over the deer management.[/QUOTE

The one thing I think he did do was expand the Bear Range in the State at a much faster pace with his trap and transfer program. I do understand that he was a PGC Puppet for the Deer Slaughter. I also understand that most of the Bears in Bucks Co. do a lot of swimming. To say he did NOTHING ???? I don't think so.

Hatchet Jack

Last edited by hatchet jack; 05-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You no what Gumplummer? I was Turkey Hunting up in Pike County on Saturday and had a 200lb Bear walk by me at 50 yards. The first thing I thought of was this little discussion we been having about Mr Alt. LOL. Thats funny.

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.