Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Maine hunting under attack >

Maine hunting under attack

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine hunting under attack

Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Maine hunting under attack

15 MARCH 2014

The state of Maine is under attack by the Humane Society of U.S.
They have petitioned to put a referendum on the ballot this November to ban Bear hunting over bait, with hounds and snaring.
They have pledged $ 3 Million to win this assault on our hunting heritage. Maine Sportsmen are working hard to raise money to go to battle with them. We have a web site for donations and further info and a web site for raffle tickets to win a guided bear hunt in Maine. Please help us with your donations.

Donation web site: http://savemainesbearhunt.com/

Raffle web site: http://sportsmansallianceofmaine.org/
Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you go to the Banquet my friend?

It was a great turnout with 1000 plus tickets sold out the show!! Making this the biggest hunting Banquet in Maine's history!! Yet no news reporters were there?? Why? I do not have any idea but they sure as heck showed up for the President of HSUS when he showed up in Portland recently and let him have his say!! Anyways there is now a campaign going on to flod them with calls to find out why they have not spoken up for our side. Also why they have not taken the time to ask a warden or biologist about the facts instead of just having HSUS do the talking..
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Spike

Makes sense that some will be (as they have been for years) continuing to fight for the removal of enticement and entrapment techniques, within the hunting community.

They want the free-range, level playing field approach.

Can't say I am a big fan of baiting or anything that gives the hunter an advantage, even though I understand it. We are already at an advantage, because we have a weapon we are using to harvest the animal, which they do not have.

However, that said, the antagonism in the woods that's been happening more frequently lately, is downright wrong, (imho).

I'll be up there to hunt again this year (above Caribou where I grew up) by the way. Save me one, will ya?!

Last edited by Soupy1957; 09-02-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe in some states you may find it an advantage.. Most that bait come back empty handed.. 1 because a sow with cubs showed up at the bait site.. 2 Because the bear/s that came in were to small 3 The bears are only coming to the baits at night. 4 The bears changed and went after the nuts and berries that help them put on mass.. 5 Last but not least alot of bears are not seen out past 5o feet because of forest density.. I know some will disagree and that is alright we are all entitled to our opinions.. But, coyotes are baited every winter and a lot of those hunters come back empty handed as well. Bears are predators and have poor eye sight. But, what they lack in eye sight then more than make up for in smell and hearing. Most states that had this way of hunting lost now have bear issues in their towns and cities.. This cost the towns and or the property owners to remove them as well as adding cost to bear proof garbage cans. There is a big cost that gets added to it as well. Also even with baiting the number of bears do not meet what is needed to hold the population of them at bay.. They continue to multiply and with that more complaints each year..

Now an update.. We are still in the battle for the votes even though as of right now we appear to be driving the referendum back down their throats.. This has been a costly campaign so far and will continue to add up. Our governor has given the US warden service permission and our biologists permission to post up some videos and ect.. to help the campaign to drive this thing back down their throats.. With that said there is only so many that will vote for their campaign qand we even have the president and ceo of HSUS here trying to help get them votes.. I do not feel they are doing all that well. But, one thing we know is once the last vote is counted we will be sure of what ever the out come is.. Also keep in mind with the strong hunting heritage Maine has if they win this thing most all state will then be aggressively fought to take more of your rights away as well..
Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted bear over bait on those Irving lumber tracts. You can't see 10 feet through the forest so spot and stalk and organized drives would be useless. The one I killed I couldn't See it laying where it dropped and I was only about 15 feet away from it. If they were to stop hunting over bait the bear population would explode.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it would Pats!! As it looks right now we are going to win this and send HSUS packing back to Washington.. I know to some that has never really seen exactly what bear country up here looks like.. In wished you did and then have you try and stalk a bear for a whole month.. Then you would understand our situation in this battle.. As stated above the terrain is very thick and a drive would produce very little in terms of success.. Any way wish us luck in this battle as they have already stated in the beginning that they will stop all hunting at the ballot box if they can win this one..
Old 11-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

So far it is looking very bad for the antis!! But no one will know until after the last vote has been accounted for.. I am expecting a good victory against HSUS and the gang and can hardly wait to see them crying all the way back to D.C. ...

We are also gathering names of their web sites so that we can try and push a law threw to have them help pay for the bears removal/ and or some sort of a compliance for them to pay a fee in order to use the great out doors like all the other sportsmen and women do.. We want no more free ride for them.. Enough is enough..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 11-02-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just remember Phil, when you have non hunters help pay the frieght and they now have some skin in the game, they will be in a better position to start making demands and that could come back to bite you in the Butt. There was a move in PA to make non hunters, bikers, horseback riders, hikers etc. pay a fee to use state game lands. We beat it back for now but that would have been a huge mistake and the non huntes were looking forward to it, not because they wanted to pay but because they believed it would give them more power, which it would have. We are better off having them be guests of the sportsmen than paying participants because they and us are at cross purposes.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Just remember Phil, when you have non hunters help pay the frieght and they now have some skin in the game, they will be in a better position to start making demands and that could come back to bite you in the Butt. There was a move in PA to make non hunters, bikers, horseback riders, hikers etc. pay a fee to use state game lands. We beat it back for now but that would have been a huge mistake and the non huntes were looking forward to it, not because they wanted to pay but because they believed it would give them more power, which it would have. We are better off having them be guests of the sportsmen than paying participants because they and us are at cross purposes.

Thanks for your input.. That is something that perhaps we will need to keep in mind as we move ahead on this thing.. At the very least they should be made to pay for the removal of bears from our school yards and the like if they want to bring these issues on to us..

Also a developing story we have been watching and waiting for.. One of the anti's story tellers has been busted for ethically shooting grouse out of the window of a motor vehicle.. LOL How is that for ethics? He claims to have shot 40 bears ethicaly in 25 years.. Without baiting. dogs, or traping all of which would not have been possible.. lol Any how here is the link for what he has done.. lol another one bites the dust.. As the truth gets deeper on the antis to try and make some sort of proof..

https://www.facebook.com/bangordailynews/posts/10152389874495796?ref=notif&notif_t=notify_me

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 11-03-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

It looks like we are beating HSUS and the anti friends butts.. The votes are now starting to wind down and we have a pretty solid 6% of the vote to send HSUS packing.. I am very much keeping my prediction of slamming their butts for the second time around!! The first time was 10 years ago and now we will soon be working on fixing it so they can not come back again!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.