HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Best state in the north east for hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/388085-best-state-north-east-hunting.html)

ABarOfSoap 12-14-2013 08:08 PM

Best state in the north east for hunting?

I'm looking to lease some land outside of NY... Where are some of your favorite hunting states in the North East?

Tundra10 12-14-2013 10:34 PM

Nh .

Gunplummer 12-15-2013 09:51 PM

West Virginia

Bob H in NH 12-16-2013 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tundra10 (Post 4107800)
Nh .

someone from PA saying NH? Why? Even at it's worst, PA is better than NH. Well except for that Sunday thing, we can hunt Sundays, we just have no deer and moose have been seriously on the way down!

In northeast, I'd be looking at PA or NY.

As far as I've heard, leasing doesn't exist in NH

bugsNbows 12-16-2013 07:47 AM

Western NY (Southern Tier) ain't half bad... usually.

Addendum: Now that the Governor has made his feelings known... pizz on NYS. Spend your hard earned $ elsewhere.

oliveschoolhunter 12-16-2013 06:00 PM

I'm from MD and I will say PENNSYLVANIA IS BY FAR THE BEST STATE TO HUNT OR BE A HUNTER IN HANDS DOWN. Where to start a ton of public ground to hunt. But people aren't pricks most will let you hunt private if you ask. Game commison actually cares about the state and not just writein tickets. The youth mentorship program is such a good thing they are doing for the youth of today. The stocking of game birds is unbelievably nice of them. That's pa lic money at work.

In MD we have very little public land very high lic fees and dnr does NOTHING to better the habitat for any wildlife. I am a MD resident but only because of family being here wouldn't be for that I'd be in pa.
PA is Awesome state and kuddos to all those involved.

Tundra10 12-20-2013 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 4108106)
someone from PA saying NH? Why? Well except for that Sunday thing, we can hunt Sundays

:party0005:

redmag 12-21-2013 08:29 AM

Not truly northeast, but I like VA far better than my home state of WV.

flags 12-21-2013 10:02 AM

I always liked the looks of Maine. My wife is from NH so I spend time every year in the New England area. Maine has some huge deer, lots of bear and a lot of moose. That being said, I don't know how hard it is to get tags or what the hunting is actually like. But I do like the looks of it.

I've hunted PA but only once and that was on a leased club. I got a good 8 pt but I don't think that one hunt qualifies me to make a decision on the whole state.

BarnesX.308 12-21-2013 08:06 PM

You will draw a powerball ticket before a non-resident moose tag. Whitetails are huge in Maine, but there are few and the land is thick and vast. Bear hunting is great.