Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer >

NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer

Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Spike

Default NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer

I'm a complete noob to hunting and I'm looking to hunt deer in the NJ/NY/PA area. I did my NJ hunter's safety course in shotgun and rifle and just need a little advice on the best way to get started — whether to go with an outfitter or just do it alone.

I figure most people get started with a family member or friend but no one I know hunts. I gotta rely on the kindness of strangers.

Last year, I did a wild hog hunt in the Hill Country in TX and really enjoyed it. I'm into cooking so this more about the food for me.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see your from Hudson County, my wife was born/raised in Hoboken, I was born/raised in Bergen County. Lots of public land in Sussex County, as well as Warren County. What game do you want to hunt in NJ?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Spike

I hunted in NJ for 1 year and would like to again but the cost is too much now. Non resident license is high, fuel cost, bait and toll. It all adds up in 1 year. You can bait there to make it easier, looking into getting a bow or crossbow and a tree stand. The archery season is much longer then gun season and you can hunt Sundays for archery which is nice.

I started hunting with a close friend and we do alot of reading, put time in the woods and learned from our mistakes. If you hunt in PA and near my area I don't mind taking you to where I hunt and show you around. I am no expert but would like to make some more hunting friends.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Spike

I'm in Jersey City and interested in deer hunting using a slug gun like Bowhunter has (my next purchase) although I honestly I love wild hog.

I worked in a restaurant breaking down pigs, making pates and sausages so I like the meat processing aspect and just basically all wild game as food. But I need to learn the etiquette and local knowledge to get me going and hopefully pass those skills to my son. I cook a lot so this is as natural as it gets.

Bowhunter, do you have any Sussex Co. areas that you can recommend as a good start?

Devil, are you in Pike or Monroe Co? Sounds like a great offer.

Thank you for your responses and any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Spike

I am in Bucks county, I hunt here and in Berks. Haven't gone to Monroe or Pike for a long time.

There are 2 apps made by pocket ranger for New Jersey. One is Fish and wildlife guide, the other is State Parks and Forrest guide. Will tell you where the location and what animal is there.

For PA, theres State Park and forrest guide and PA Game commision which cost 10 bucks.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try the Stokes Forest, Delaware Water Gap Rec Area to hunt, deep woods!!!

As far as a shotgun, I can and will put you in the right direction.

Do you want a shotgun dedicated for deer, bear, wild pig? meaning slugs only.....or do you want one for both big game and small game

How much do you want spend?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

come over and enjoy the BSing about NJ outdoors with NJ people

http://www.njwoodsandwater.com/
Old 12-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Spike

Bowhunter, I actually did a campout in Stokes with my son and two other kids in early November. I love that park. Never thought of it as a hunting destination.

I think a slug gun would be ideal. The Savage 220f seems like a good one. I already have a Savage 11/111 that I used for my pig hunt and I like it. It's very accurate. I think around the $500-600 would be my sweet spot. I have older 12g a and 16ga shotguns that I think I could eventually use for turkey or ducks hunting.

Devil, I downloaded the app for NJ Wildlife and it seems pretty comprehensive - Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stokes is a prime deer/bear area, other public land in the area as well, giving one lots of room....the key is getting in early, getting deep away from crowds, and staying all day. I hunt 10 minutes north of Stokes

The Savage 220f is perfect and is a tack driver I love mine. For Scopes I love the Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40, Remington Accutip 3", DNZ scope mounts. Try Mike's Gun Shop on Anderson Ave., Fairview, NJ his prices are great
Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Spike

Sorry for the newbie questions but when you say early, is this before dawn? Also, how do you determine the spot to set up? Do you typically hunt alone? Do you bring feed with you? How much separation is there between you and someone else? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.