Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer >

NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ hunting newbie looking for advice on first deer

Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zomborama
Sorry for the newbie questions but when you say early, is this before dawn? Also, how do you determine the spot to set up? Do you typically hunt alone? Do you bring feed with you? How much separation is there between you and someone else? Thanks.
I like to be set up and ready to go an hour before daylight.....I look for tracks, droppings, rubs, scrapes. I hunt bow, and muzzleloader with a good friend, shotgun week it's about 8 of us at the house we have just over the boarder in PA, but just my friend and I hunt in this one area, the others hunt 2 miles away
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to be IN my stand at least n hour before legal shooting time. You can never be to early. Get in deep and you'll avoid crowds and have the opurtunity of having the late comers chase the deer your way.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Spike

Thanks, again for the great advice. I can also see why bowhunting is desirable in NJ.