Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Here we go again!! >

Here we go again!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Here we go again!!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Here we go again!!

I just got around to reading my Dec 2013 edition of American Hunter magazine. There is an article in there titled "Predators at the Back Door". The article talks about grizzly and black bears, coyotes, and cougars. In this article there are maps of the current and historical ranges for each of these animals. Taking a look at the cougar's, the historical range was from the west coast to about the eastern edge of the rockies (maybe a bit farther east) and from the upper reaches of BC south all the way into South America. The current range now covers this area AND the entire rest of the continental U.S. and about 3/4 of Canada. Pretty much the same for the coyote.
I believe they are here in PA. I've just not been fortunate or unfortunate enough, depending on the circumstances, to see one for myself.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

I believe they are here too. There has been 2 sightings in Butler Co. In the last few years and my cousin spotted one just a couple miles from his house in Pleasantville a couple of years ago. It's maybe a case of plausible deniability for them. I heard the same thing about Bald Eagles in the area. They said, no they weren't...till pictures of them were everywhere. Then there tune changed.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe there is a wild population of cougars here in the north east and testimonials aren't about to sway my thinking on the matter. Unless and until the scientific community, (primarily universities) say there is, I'll regard all these recurring "cougar" threads in the same manner as I do reports of Bigfoot.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Both my wife and I saw a cougar last year here in NW CT.

A cougar was killed by a car near New Haven CT last year.

I saw a cougar in 1957 in Southern Vermont in November.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Claims of Bigfoot sightings here in southern NY are fairly common.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well my thinking is this. There are and estimated 15,000 - 17,000 black bear in PA. And there have been hunters who have yet to see one. What is the percentage of times out of total times in the woods has the average hunter seen one. And the deer population I believe is estimated about 400,000 but I've hunted about 30 days this year on public land and have only seen about a dozen or so.
Then you have a trappable population of bobcats to which I've only seen 4 in my 45+ years of being in the outdoors. Coyotes - I've only ever seen 2, yet tracks are everywhere. So the idea that cougars are here, to me, does not seem too far fetched. And as for seeing tracks from them, if they are here, they are few and far between and they are very reclusive animals so not seeing tracks is no reason for doubting sightings upon sightings from educated, knowledgeable hunters. Heck, even in states where there is a huntable population, it may take days of driving back roads in vehicles with scent dogs to cut a track.
As for Sasquatch - I've yet to be formally introduced. But I don't think they've migrated from Mich's upper peninsula yet.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

well about some time back 12 years ago was hunting PA. late BP season around Tuckanock area I think it is 3C area and seen a cougar on the trail of a small doe,funny I give credit to that little doe she did outwit the cat and crossed my flintlock sight 3 times that day
I did pass on her on the late sundown shot I think she deserved a chance to live.
I will say last year (winter) in the Hancock area) we caught a large cat on the deck of by buddies property) 125 lbs easy.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Spike

I find it hard to believe that there are absolutely no cats here in PA. I've traveled through the "wilds" and the mountains are so vast, you can't tell me we know exactly whats inside them.

I am from Beaver County PA and I did spot a cougar a couple of months ago. I thought I was insane but after doing some research, I found that cougar sightings have been happening in my area for years now. I didn't report the sighting because I didn't want the cat to be bothered. But it was a cat. It was about the size of a medium/large dog, taunie colored and had a low, long and swooping tail.

The game commision will pass off a cougar sighting and come back with the answer "There are no breeding populations". When was the last time they checked or did an intense study to see if they have returned to PA? Have the combed the "wilds"? Western cougars are steadily moving east again. If we don't have a breeding population here, we probably will in the near future.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Does anybody ever cut a cat track? They must leave a foot print, I know the ones in Montana do.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Spike

Prints have been found and documented. The game commission refuses to release any statements other than "there are no breeding populations".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.