HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   What's the Big Deal?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/387712-whats-big-deal.html)

Soupy1957 12-02-2013 01:28 AM

What's the Big Deal?!

Seems like there is a big push by Bow Hunters to advocate their chosen method of hunting, over others.

I get it...........a longer season overall, since you can take your bow out and hunt with it no matter WHO is out there (Muzzleloader, Rifle, etc).

On the other hand...........I don't like the idea of being so "hidden" that I put myself in danger. (I'm an advocate for wearing the "orange"). Someone said recently......"nobody said a bowhunter can't wear orange ya know," and of course he was right.

Being within 100 yards (typical for New England, as most of you know) is fine with me. Having to be within 25 yards (let's say, for sake of discussion) is forcing a few extra precautions I'd rather live without.

Then there are the baiters and tree-standers. Neither approach do I participate in, nor advocate. Stay on their level, and meet them on their terms. That would apply to "deer farms" as well.

You won't find ME out there on the weekends either, when the fields are flooded with hunters who couldn't get out during the week. I sympathize with their plight in that regard, but don't miss em. I much prefer the quiet woods, uncluttered with anything but wildlife.

Not trying to sound grumpy or argumentative here.........just opening up a few different cans of worms to entice conversation, is all.

-Soupy1957

bugsNbows 12-02-2013 07:46 AM

That's what makes hunting uniquely challenging. Do your own thing (within legal parameters) and let others do theirs.

olsaltydog 12-02-2013 07:51 AM

Im not exactly getting what your issue is. Are the bow hunters asking for an earlier start date or asking for regulations to be loosened to allow bow hunters to go without orange?

Soupy1957 12-03-2013 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4103669)
Im not exactly getting what your issue is. ................

No "issue" Ol Salty.........just starting a conversation, is all.

-Soupy1957

olsaltydog 12-03-2013 04:34 AM

To be honest the hunter orange is a great idea, but for me personally could be reasonably relaxed a little. I encourage everyone to wear it while traversing the hunting grounds but once you get in stand or blind you should be allowed to relax the orange. Thats just me, I cant confirm if this has been historically evaluated or not but dont believe the chances of hunters mistaking someone in a blind or in a stand as a deer is that great. I could be wrong but that has just been my personal viewpoint.

Also i think some states should re-evaluate their gun regulations. Some that require shotguns/ muzzle-loaders only but no rifle without singling out slug guns doesn't make much sense to me. Slug guns are gonna continue to develop and become better and muzzle-loaders are on par with most rifles in the way majority of hunters use them.

Gunplummer 12-03-2013 07:13 AM

In PA the accidents during deer season are generally not a hunter being mistaken for a deer. It is usually someone getting hit that was in line with the deer, or more often behind the deer and not seen. I don't think ditching the orange is a great idea. Even in a tree the woods where I hunt are so steep that half the time you are still on the level of a shooter.

olsaltydog 12-03-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gunplummer (Post 4104023)
In PA the accidents during deer season are generally not a hunter being mistaken for a deer. It is usually someone getting hit that was in line with the deer, or more often behind the deer and not seen. I don't think ditching the orange is a great idea. Even in a tree the woods where I hunt are so steep that half the time you are still on the level of a shooter.

Think that is an excellent point. Here where i live you find a mound 20ft high its considered a hill. The rest is pretty much flat terrain so my perspective is a little skewed. But will say this is also why its left to each individual states to enact rules and regulations that suit their needs. Coast of NC is nothing like the Mountains and neither similar to the Middle.

Soupy1957 12-04-2013 12:11 AM

A couple of comments:

Shotguns must be used in CT unless you are on private land, as opposed to high powered rifles.

Many times, bullets continue on their journey after leaving the prey. This we all know. it's "where" they go, that concerns me. Wearing "orange" doesn't change that, but the odds of a bullet blowing thru the woods and into blinds, and everywhere it wants to go, is always there. Wearing the orange, to avoid the obvious mistaken identity, is still a good way to protect yourself. Once you are in a blind, it's a whole other ballgame.

Heck, being out in the woods after dark, is a big "danger" time, since the "orange" doesn't show up.

I read thru a list of hunting accidents last year on some website that likes to advertise them because they want to show how dangerous hunting is, and it seemed that the "after dark" scenario was repeated fairly regularly.

-Soupy1957

oliveschoolhunter 12-13-2013 10:52 PM

I'm in MD and I can agree with most of your points how ever I do enjoy hunting when every other weekend warrior is out and about that's when I see the most deer people who can't shoot always scare them my way then its on.