Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Western maryland Squirrels >

Western maryland Squirrels

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Western maryland Squirrels

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Spike

Default Western maryland Squirrels

I just seen that Maryland squirrel season last until Feb 28. Have any of you hunted them in WM in Feb? Are squirrels active that late? I was wondering about Warrior Mountain, Green Ridge & Dans Mountain? I thought about getting a 3 day lic in Feb. & giving it a try. Thought I would watch the weather and try to pick 3 nice days. Any pointers for WM squirrels would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Spike

RR, So you think they will be active in Feb? I never hunted them after Jan. Do you think they will be mating in Feb? If so they could be real active. Yeah, they are tought critters, I skin them in the woods while they are still warm.Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nutcracker
I just seen that Maryland squirrel season last until Feb 28. Have any of you hunted them in WM in Feb? Are squirrels active that late?
They don't shutdown in winter. Always a good winter adversary.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Spike

So guess no one one here ever hunted Warrior Mountain, Dans Mountain or Green Ridge Forest in Western Maryland? wonderin about the squirrel population?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nutcracker
So guess no one one here ever hunted Warrior Mountain, Dans Mountain or Green Ridge Forest in Western Maryland? wonderin about the squirrel population?
Grab yer favorite rimfire/shotgun and take a stroll.

Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Grab yer favorite rimfire/shotgun and take a stroll.

Good Luck.
Yeah, that is probably what I will do. Since I don't live in Maryland, the lic are going to be high. I figured to get a 3 day lic, think I read they was 45.00. Their lic.runs their entire hunting season, not yearly. So i would only get Feb. out of a full lic.The only reason I thought I might try it is I got the month of February off and our season here in WV runs out Jan 31. Just to have a chance to explore new woods and get a few squirrels. I see they allow air rifles to, which I like to hunt with. Heck their squirrel season is six months long.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default WM

I've hunted Dans Mountain but that was many years ago.

Those Fox squirrels are somewhat larger than the Eastern Gray, seen them morning and afternoon. Both coexist in WM and other areas.

Look for [obviously] White Oak stands, tracks in the snow, digs [where they burrow for hidden nuts] especially near fields and borders.

Perfect time for a scoped .22 or .17HMR.

They will see you further away now too. Camo and glassing should produce a good mess for some Good Grub!

Good Luck!