HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   No more crossbows in NY? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/376964-no-more-crossbows-ny.html)

ModernPrimitive 12-25-2012 05:15 AM

No more crossbows in NY?

read an article earlier this week; Cuomo vetoed legislation continuing the use of crossbows as legal hunting impements. Apparently, this was provisionally attached to the youth Archery Hunt,IIRC.

I assume the Bill may be rewritten?

Had just begun considering a crossbow, having always been intrigued, but I have enough weapons to shoot paper with...

Here is the veto information:

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...sbow_bill.html

Topgun 3006 12-25-2012 03:05 PM

Nothing that happens in NY or Ca would surprise me any more!

BRUSE 12-25-2012 03:52 PM

Just when I was thinking Fort Drum might that be that bad for my next assigment. I think I'll stay down south.

notmyname 12-25-2012 04:42 PM

Think it has more to do with the low turn out of crossbow hunters in ny,
481 deer harvested by crossbow in 2011.
Compared to the +200k deer total harvest.
No point in continuing it.

sconnyhunter 12-25-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by notmyname (Post 4020108)

Would that be a valid reason to discontinue it, though? Not enough deer killed?

More likely, its political. He wants it to stand alone, on its own accord. The use of crossbows, IMO, is about the ability to use one. Not now many deer are killed with one each season. Its about expanding the base of hunters to include those who maybe cannot draw a compound and may choose not to hunt with a firearm.

Charlie P 12-26-2012 04:40 AM

Bruse you seen some of the deer taken off Fort Drum? A texas boy might find the weather a wee bit colder then they are used to however.

Champlain Islander 12-27-2012 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter (Post 4020125)
Would that be a valid reason to discontinue it, though? Not enough deer killed?

More likely, its political. He wants it to stand alone, on its own accord. The use of crossbows, IMO, is about the ability to use one. Not now many deer are killed with one each season. Its about expanding the base of hunters to include those who maybe cannot draw a compound and may choose not to hunt with a firearm.

Eliminating any weapon is a goal. One step at a time is their tactic and it figures it would come from NY.

Avalanche 12-27-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by notmyname (Post 4020108)

Actually it has more to do with the Youth hunt. The bill that contained the continuation of crossbows during the firearms season also prohibited the youth hunt in October. The bill was pushed thru the senate by a Senator who is a puppet of the New York Bowhunter's ASS.
It was their way of going through the back door to not only prevent the youth hunt but also to keep crossbows from the regular archery season.
I applaud the Gov. for vetoing it. There is a new bill already introduced that will allow crossbows as well as the youth hunt. NYB did not get their way. For being a so called bowhunter friendly organization they sure put up alot of road blocks to our great sport in the name of their own selfish goals.

vapahunter 12-28-2012 04:38 PM

Sounds like the VaHDA here in Virginia. A group of so called hunters who work against all the states licensed hunters for their own benefit. They will lie and do whatever is necessary to prevent other hunters from doing what they are permitted to do by special exclusion to Va law. They are the largest anti hunting group of hunters in Va if not the country.

Valentine 01-18-2013 02:34 AM

Did NY state schedule

bean bag ammunition of this coming year?