HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Western md archery hunting ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/376245-western-md-archery-hunting.html)

bowhunter2117 12-07-2012 07:58 AM

Western md archery hunting ?

I hope someone can help me I have been thinking of hunting western Md Warrior MT or Green Ridge mt.
Can anyone provide me with a link to a map of these 2 areas. I wanted to run a few trail cameras over the winter but the maps on dnr site are poor quality and it does not show road names or have parking areas listed that I can see. Also how’s the archery hunting in these areas will my wife and I see more hunters than deer thanks for any info you can give

WestVirginiaBrent 12-07-2012 08:11 AM

I haven't been up there in a decade, but that place is hunted like crazy, a sea of blaze orange during rifle season, never seen anything like it. *edit* Green Ridge that is.

bowhunter2117 12-07-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info on rifle I’ll keep it in mind we were going to also rifle hunt the area I’m used to crowds of orange it comes with hunting public land. I’m not looking for monster bucks just seeing deer in huntable numbers will satisfy me. Really I’m more of a bowhunter and would rather bowhunt what was the terrain like in these areas rolling hills or steep mountains

chazspot 12-16-2012 03:39 PM

I've never bowhunted Greenridge that I can remember, only rifle. It's a lot of work in terms of getting around due to it being mostly mountainous. Personally, I wouldn't recommend either of those places for bowhunting, but if that is all you have available then make the most of it!

Gunplummer 12-22-2012 09:26 AM

I used to hunt Maryland around Indian Springs with a bow. About 15 years ago they came out with the ridicules "30 deer a year" law and that was the end of that. I would check the laws and if that is still the case, look at another state to hunt in.

Mr. Longbeard 12-24-2012 04:52 PM

Yea there are some knuckle heads out there that take the saying "if it's brown it's down" to a new level... I got a friend of mine that has killed 21-25 deer a year for the last 5 or so years... It kinda makes me sick when he sends me text message #1 #15 #20 in the freezer... I think he's a disgrace to hunting...

And he says he eats all the deer meet.. Yea ok

Gunplummer 12-27-2012 04:35 PM

Yeah, I was camping in a field at Indian Springs and the night before rifle opened some guy was shooting his mouth off. He shot 9 deer there during early loader season. I asked what he did with them and he donated them to some food bank. "There are plenty of deer", he said. The next year the first day of rifle I heard two quick shots around 12 noon. That was the only shots I heard in the valley all day. That was buck and doe open at the same time. I never went back. Your buddy is probably hunting private property.