HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   My opening day WV and PA 8 points (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/375813-my-opening-day-wv-pa-8-points.html)

WestVirginiaBrent 11-27-2012 01:02 PM

My opening day WV and PA 8 points

I had a great year!! My usual opening day spot in WV produced an 8 point, like it usually does, which I am truly thankful for. He was 127 yards away to my left with his nose on the trail, I livered him, he bed down 25 yards later and I put a lung shot on him shortly there after. For a North Central WV browse deer it is really nice. I'd take one like him every year and be thankful. Now, for my PA buck, I used non scent wash and spray, got down to the bottom field of where I hunt in the morning and sprayed my boots with Buck Bomb and walked to my spot. At 6:45 I look up and a large buck is following my path with his nose to the ground. I grab the gun, scope it, realize it's a huge buck and shoot it quartering to me before my nerves got the better of me. He dropped in his tracks and I have been on cloud 9 since. He is my biggest buck by far, an absolute monster of an 8 point, IMO. He has great mass and character. He dressed out at 150, on a scale, with pics to prove it, lol, so that's a live weight of about 210ish.

WV Deer.

PA Buck

BRUSE 11-27-2012 03:04 PM

thats pretty awesome being able to hunt 2 states and ahve such good luck. congrats.

WestVirginiaBrent 11-27-2012 03:13 PM

Yes, I was truly blessed this year. I hope the streak of luck keeps up, although I am done hunting for the year. I got both mounted and enough deer meat to keep my freezer full for a while. :happy0001:

I missed this 10 point at a buddies house with a bow not once, not twice, but three times. So I was getting ribbed pretty good going into rifle season, lol.

huntingkidPA 11-27-2012 04:20 PM

do you mind me asking with county or game management area you were hunting in pa? looks like armstrong or somerset area. I wish i could have gone out the first day but i tagged out my buck in archery. This weekend i will be in armstrong to try to get a doe. Great buck! My dad loves seeing big bucks being taken out of PA.

WestVirginiaBrent 11-27-2012 04:36 PM

I was hunting in 4A, Bedford area. I know the antler restriction has been controversial but it's working in my little corner of the world.

I didn't hear very many shots this year, not like last year. If we get another mild winter this year, there could be some real monsters out there next season!

White-tail-deer 11-27-2012 04:47 PM

Awesome! Congrats!!

huntingkidPA 11-27-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent (Post 4009532)
I was hunting in 4A, Bedford area. I know the antler restriction has been controversial but it's working in my little corner of the world.

I didn't hear very many shots this year, not like last year. If we get another mild winter this year, there could be some real monsters out there next season!

I'm on board with the antler restriction. I couldn't imagine how bad the deer population would be up in the allegheny national forest if there was no antler restriction. Its really bad right now, if there was none they might be wiped out.

Maybe you didn't here to many shots cause you can't take a doe the first week in that wmu now?