Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Mosquitos / Triple E, Ticks, >

Mosquitos / Triple E, Ticks,

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mosquitos / Triple E, Ticks,

Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default Mosquitos / Triple E, Ticks,

Its been getting bad around here for Triple E from mosquitos. With the mild winter Im assuming ticks will be just as bad. Hanging stands and scouting in the warm weather is the worst for it. I always try to go into woods scentless when Im setting stands. This year I may be applying the bug spray.

You guys use anything? Would you be concerned going into wood setting your stand smelling like DEET even though you wouldnt be back for a month?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

That triple E is bad news. One guy died from that in Vt already and another is sick and in the hospital. They say there is an outbreak of west nile too. I wouldn't worry about bug spray chasing the deer away.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the repellants are now available with earth smelling additives. Scent Shield has one I believe. I would not worry about contaminating stands as scents will dissipate over time and with rainfall / wind.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know what Tripple E is, but there is some new kind of virus the ticks are carrying out west. Supposed to be worst than Lymes.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Spike

ya ticks are bad where I hunt. Not uncommon to come out of woods with 20+ on you.. Id like to find a good repellent I can use during hunting for those things. Ive found several latched on before over the years.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Pick up a Thermocell. works great for mosquitoes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Permathrin and follow the instructions closely! Do not spray it directly on your skin!!! Best product made IMHO. The formula was developed for the military back in the begining of the Vietnam war. You should be able to find it just about anywhere you find hunting and camping supplies sold. Cabela's I believe still carry's it or you can order it directly from the company. If you do a Goggle search, the companies web link should come up on the first result page. I have used it while hunting for the last 20 years and have no trouble filling my taggs every year.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Permathrin and follow the instructions closely! Do not spray it directly on your skin!!! Best product made IMHO. The formula was developed for the military back in the begining of the Vietnam war. You should be able to find it just about anywhere you find hunting and camping supplies sold. Cabela's I believe still carry's it or you can order it directly from the company. If you do a Goggle search, the companies web link should come up on the first result page. I have used it while hunting for the last 20 years and have no trouble filling my taggs every year.

Totally agree. Two sources. 1. Go to Walmart and get a can of SAWYERS spray. Soak ant clothes you will wear in the woods a day or two before. 2. Get a product called EIGHT at Tractor Supply or similiar store. Mix it 5:1 as directions say and then spray clothes with it.. Product stays on clothes thru several washing. Use it all the time with no tick or chigger bites yet. DONOT SPRAY EITHER DIRECTLY ON YOUR SKIN. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Spike

quote: "Permathrin and follow the instructions closely!"

Yup, what these guys said.

Ticks have been nasty in Southern Maine the last few years. Ain't going in the woods without it this year after a bad tick bite last year.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Their bite can't penetrate my leathery exterior, and didn't ya' hear? The abundance of ticks cannot be credited to the mild winter, but rather the lower population of their primary host species (white-footed mice)! Google it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.