Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD state land

Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Spike

Default MD state land

what area in MD has the best deer hunting? and the most deer?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Based on the 2012-2013 bag limits, I would say region B
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Spike

It would depend. I do not hunt state land during gun season for deer except for in savage river state forest, dans mountain, or certain areas of warrior mountain because of how crazy and crowded it gets. I would say the best chance for getting a relatively large deer would be on private land, preferably of large size, with some farm land around and little hunting pressure. However you asked about state land. Avoid green ridge, the frederick watershed, indian springs, mckee beshers, prathers, and probably every wma in the middle of the state and most on the eastern shore during gun season. I haven't hunted any except for mckee beshers in the middle, and none on the eastern shore, but I bet they get very crowded during gun season. because places like greenridge, sideling hill, mt nebo, etc have roads that make pretty much the whole land within them accessible to hunters, they get crowded. Warrior mountain is great if you can go to the western side and are willing to hike far. Dans mountain is very rugged and therefor most people are crowded together in ten percent of the land within the wma. However, I have never seen real big deer here, probably because they wander out of state land onto private land before they get real big. Savage river forest gets very little pressure, because of the small amount of campsites, a small road system, and the steep terrain. Many old bucks up to 16 points grow old and die without ever being hunted. I have taken a 14 point and many deer 8 points and over out of savage river over the years. Probably 70% of those that I have hunted have escaped. The success rate for deer hunters on public land is low, especially if you hunt only during gun season. However, if you are willing to hike far and are in shape to drag a deer out of rugged terrain, savage river is your best chance of a large deer without the large crowds. Also, its a good place for turkey and squirrel as well. The trout fishing and the fishing in savage reservoir is great too, even though they drained most of it a few years back. I was truly amazed to see three years later how great the fishing still is in the forest, with huge bass, walleye, panfish, and perch still to be found in large numbers. It doesn't seem like an area to hold big deer, but there is a lot of farmland surrounding the forest and a good number of farms inside the forest. However, you will find the most deer on private land with a large amount of productive farmland, which you will find the most of in region b. However, there is enough farmland in region a to warrant asking around to hunt on private land.

Last edited by sean_paul87; 08-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Western MD deer hunting is better known as "scrub buck nation". The guides around those parts get secretive about large, spike bucks they've seen.

Central and southern MD has the biggest bucks in the state, bar none. Why? Well, the habitat is great for them and the access to them is not. Therefore, many bloodlines of monster bucks stay on lightly hunted lands and eat very well. It is only when these bucks stray during the rut is when they are killed by a hunter or a car for the most part.

To add another obstacle; these bucks don't have to go very far to mate during the rut. Why? Well, thanks to many hunters shooting only bucks (no matter how big) there is an overpopulation of does. With this many does running around, the big bucks don't have to work very hard to mate. And they are not complaining!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default md deer hunting

I am glad no one mentioned hunting on the eastern shore........we have alot of state land and there are some nice bucks killed ....how many on are killed on state land I dont know know but deer wander and abundent here ! good luck
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by chazspot
Western MD deer hunting is better known as "scrub buck nation". The guides around those parts get secretive about large, spike bucks they've seen.

Central and southern MD has the biggest bucks in the state, bar none. Why? Well, the habitat is great for them and the access to them is not. Therefore, many bloodlines of monster bucks stay on lightly hunted lands and eat very well. It is only when these bucks stray during the rut is when they are killed by a hunter or a car for the most part.

To add another obstacle; these bucks don't have to go very far to mate during the rut. Why? Well, thanks to many hunters shooting only bucks (no matter how big) there is an overpopulation of does. With this many does running around, the big bucks don't have to work very hard to mate. And they are not complaining!
I live in Montgomery county, and the reason in my opinion there are so many big bucks as well as deer in general is these two main reasons (not the only factors, but the two biggest ones in my opinion.)
1. Very few people hunt in moco, and those who do have a very restricted area in which they can. The majority of moco is now built up and not only unsafe to hunt, but pretty much impossible. Also, areas that have managed hunts, those hunters are pretty much told to take only does, because otherwise the population will just keep going up.

2. The quality of habitat has in many cases actually been enhanced for deer in moco, even though much of the original forest cover is gone. Azaleas and high grade corn now replace many areas of forest, which in turn actually allows the deer to become healthier. Downside to this, it causes many deer to bunch up, and spread disease.

You rarely see deer hit by cars in western maryland. I see it all the time still in moco. I still get 20+ deer herds in the winter in my backyard. I find every year 10 12 14 even the occasional 18 point deer that died from old age during the spring or winter. You don't find that in western maryland, because the few deer that survive to be that age live in very rugged areas, and know how to stay hidden. They are out there, and I have seen them. However, you won't find them on the scale you see in the more populated agricultural areas. It also depends on the genetics. Two subspecies of deer were used to repopulate maryland, one was the much bigger northern subspecies, the other was a more southern and average size. Deer who get real big racks probably have more of the northern subspecies genetics than the southern ones. Deer in moco have a much smaller range, for as you mentioned the easy availability of does, as well as the fact that the quality of habitat is better. You don't see the crazy mast cycles for the most part in moco that you do in other areas of the state, it is either average or extremely good. The fact too that there are an abundance of gardens and lawns doesn't hurt either.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Spike

Think of westerm maryland as scrub buck nation. I'll hunt there all by myself.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

charles county !!!! kill more deer there by accident than anywere else ive hunted in the state!!!

If your a cheese and want to kill deer go there... you dont have to wash your hunting close or take a shower to kill them... I hunted the same area for the whole season and by opening day of rifle season the finally wised up... 5 or 6 does and two desent 8pts later... Hell i never had a deer blow one time the whole season... In other words there stupid non pressured deer
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt Seneca Creek and Patuxent river in MoCo. Seen a couple good bucks the last couple years. Missed one decent 8 last year. Plenty of small bucks and does.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Spike

Wish it were so that not many deer are hit in the road in western md. I have hit several and had many near misses. The roadside ditches tell the story.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.