Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
O.K. I seeing things or nature is messed up by warm winter. >

O.K. I seeing things or nature is messed up by warm winter.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

O.K. I seeing things or nature is messed up by warm winter.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default O.K. I seeing things or nature is messed up by warm winter.

Driving home last night from work there was 4 deer standing off the edge of the road. As I went by them they kept standing there as I was blasting the horn. In this group I swear to the Almighty there was a 4 point buck standing. I would think that bucks would of dropped their antlers by now being we are going into April.
I went shed hunting 2 weekends ago and found a few nice sheds. I was really wondering if anybody else has been seeing bucks with horns still. I would of thought by now nature would triggered them into starting new antler growth for this year.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Must be the only one seeing this.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Some say the antler shedding occurs to the breeding or testosterone levels of the buck. The younger bucks have been known to keep antlers later because they were kept out of the breeding cycle by bigger bucks. I guess its Mother Natures why to broadcast to any does (breeding late) that the bucks are still around. I doesn’t happen often and I really doubt it has anything to do with the weather or the so called “global warming”.

I believe it was in 97 or 98 when we were still living in MD that I was coming home from turkey hunting late morning. Standing in a field with several other deer was a 4 pointer eating with both sides still on. I know I have a photo of it somewhere with the date stamped right on the photo.

However, I’ve been accused but some as setting the date wrong. Apparently I saw the deer, stopped my truck, got out my camera and changed the time/date before taking the picture so I could fool people 10 years down the road So my thought is it's rare but not uncommon and has nothing to do with the weather.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Two weeks ago I saw a small buck with both sides on. Yesterday, in central Ohio, I saw several bucks with velvet coming in. Nothing big yet, just starting.
-Jake
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heck, I haven't seen a deer since November 8. But then again, I haven't been in the woods for about 2 months either
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nature will do that to Newbies

Have any snow lately?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Snow what is that. We had snowstorm back around Halloween and other than that hardly any. New York this year had the dryest winter for snow. It was 75 degrees in March.