Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Antler Restrictions in New York >

Antler Restrictions in New York

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Antler Restrictions in New York

Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I don't agree that there are more doe than buck in a natural setting. When it was a 3 day doe season in pa., it was probably close to 50/50. The herd is so screwed up now that in many places there are more buck than doe. I used to live in 5-C and that area is real screwed up. Where did the "Correct" doe to buck ratio come from? I don't beleive AR works unless the hunting area is restricted and the area's food supply is boosted. There were always big deer out there, it just did not show until Pa. opened the bow season all those extra weeks. The sad thing is you can walk the mountains around here and see rubs from years gone by, some on really big trees, and now you are lucky to see any at all. Pa. does not even have valid antler restrictions. There are so many people allowed to shoot anything I don't see why they even bother with them.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PREDATE
I think you're reply is in refrence to what nys-buckstalker said. I take it that he wasn't aware of that! You are right. Is that something new? I'm not a landowner, so I wasn't aware of it either.
Oh I'm very much aware of it. When I went to get license had my property taxes paper work with me to prove that I was a/the landowner. Got ahold of my buddy who is an Encon officier who hunts our property said that the "State" was wrong by not allowing us to get permits.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
Oh I'm very much aware of it. When I went to get license had my property taxes paper work with me to prove that I was a/the landowner. Got ahold of my buddy who is an Encon officier who hunts our property said that the "State" was wrong by not allowing us to get permits.
Is that something that the person selling the license has to manually enter into the DECALS computer every year?
I think it should be stored on the computer then a simple check box once you display the proper paperwork. Sounds like the license clerk may have messed up.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Sullivan County NY and the deer restrictions have worked great. After the heyday of the 70's and 80's when people shot at BROWN..the good bucks were far afew between. Since implementing Antler restrictions I see bucks frequently, and they are GETTING BIG ! REAL BIG ! better then even 10 yrs ago when spikeys were a shooter !
AR's work great...the problem ! local poachers all year long !
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Spike

I have been hunting P.A. since they started the antler restriction. I see no bigger bucks taken off this farm than ever before. Where are these older bucks? I do not want to see antler restrictions in the areas I hunt in New York state. My opinion is. I pay a lot of money for my license each year. You want to kill bigger bucks, that is your right, you let the smaller ones go. I on the other hand want the meat. I to will let smaller bucks go, but I like the idea that I have a choice, and not a law saying I can't kill a smaller buck if I like. I don't care for the PA law, I have to let a lot of bucks go every year down there, I go for the meat on the farm I hunt. Like I said, there has been a law there for many years now, and I still don't see any bigger bucks now than I did before.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Spike

Default Antler Restrictions in New York

Originally Posted by 26drawny
Yep I have heard of a guy who gets around 60 nuisance permits a year and he gives them to the Amish... They dont report the kills... they dont use phones... That is why I said the biggest problem is all the deer taken and not reported... forget the AR's....
Hi 26drawny. In my area if you look somewhere on the Amish land out by the road, you will see a little shed with phone wires coming in. I have also been to one of their places getting some produce before and seen these Amish around here use a phone. My experience anyways. Not saying you aren't right about them not calling them in if they did get one, nuisance permit.