Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Antler Restrictions in New York >

Antler Restrictions in New York

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Antler Restrictions in New York

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PREDATE
A guy near me has a 6acre pumpkin patch and about 16acre corn/soybean and has been getting over 100 nuisance permits(passing em' out like candy)! It really bugs me because he doesn't even eat em', just dumps em!!

ummmmmmmm
100?????
find that highly unlikely. 10 maybe
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doughboysigep
ummmmmmmm
100?????
find that highly unlikely. 10 maybe
I don't know the guy personally, but I know guys that do and that's what they all said!
I agree that it sounds fictional and I assume that the story got misconstrued somewhere. The guy most likely has other crop fields, but the fields that I do know he owns do not equal enough acreage to constitute much more than 10 DMP's!!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

how can you possibly tell by looking at a buck and judging his width? bet a lot of bucks are shot and left laying cause they arent wide enough. its as bad as our 4 points on one side here in some parts of Pa.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
how can you possibly tell by looking at a buck and judging his width? bet a lot of bucks are shot and left laying cause they arent wide enough. its as bad as our 4 points on one side here in some parts of Pa.
Current regs in western PA are "3 up top".

All other areas of PA, "3 on a side".

Pretty simple and not hard to follow.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

After reading your post I would contact the DEC officer in your area and have him investigate this. If you own more than 50 acres and can prove it you are to receive your first choice DMP. Look at the book that you recv'd when you purchased your license on page 29 it clearly states that .
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by schickster
After reading your post I would contact the DEC officer in your area and have him investigate this. If you own more than 50 acres and can prove it you are to receive your first choice DMP. Look at the book that you recv'd when you purchased your license on page 29 it clearly states that .
I think you're reply is in refrence to what nys-buckstalker said. I take it that he wasn't aware of that! You are right. Is that something new? I'm not a landowner, so I wasn't aware of it either.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Speaking of Amish we had a guy that was leasing 2 large pieces of land bordering mine and while the property owner was in Florida he brought in 2 van loades of Amish ... menonite what evers and they ran a slaughter house for 2 weeks ...Thinning the herd and getting the buck to doe ratio in check or so he says ... when the property owner got home he was met with a lot of pissed off neighbors.... guy lost his lease..
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me hunting is about the sheer joy of being in the woods and the pride one takes in developing the skills to harvest wild game. A trophy is just a bonus not a goal. Antler restriction comes from a philosophy that elevates the importance of trophies and is the antithesis of mine. I hope it never comes to my area.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Older/ bigger bucks are smarter and more of a challenge. It doesn't take much skill to shoot a spike. Yes a spike is a great trophy for a youngster or a new hunter, but the reason you don't see experienced hunters strapping a spike to the hood and showing it off is because it doesn't showcase that hunters hunting skill.
Personally I really don't care what others choose to do because I know that each time I step in the woods I have a chance of seeing a great buck. We do have nice deer in NY. They're just tougher to bag.
I would hope that we as experienced hunters would teach our kids that having a bit of restraint could lead to a better deer. A trigger happy kid with a 5-shot magazine often leads to wounded/wasted deer. I think we can all agree that doe are more populous, therefore why not just shoot doe if meat is the only goal? It would do us all good to even out the buck to doe ratio.
I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching. I'm just trying to convince the naysayers that nice shooter deer can be had with a little patience. Google some NY whitetail buck pictures, then tell me that you don't want one!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sylvan
To me hunting is about the sheer joy of being in the woods and the pride one takes in developing the skills to harvest wild game. A trophy is just a bonus not a goal. Antler restriction comes from a philosophy that elevates the importance of trophies and is the antithesis of mine. I hope it never comes to my area.
+100. Well said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.