Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Antler Restrictions in New York >

Antler Restrictions in New York

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Antler Restrictions in New York

Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antler Restrictions in New York

someone told me the Antler Restrictions in New York where the deer have to have 3 points on one side to shoot them, is being made state wide or at-least more areas being added...I looked this up but couldn't find any info about it. Anyone know if the whole state or more areas are going to be added?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Spike

Here are the new dmu's listed ... its not state wide but they added new zones

listed areas 3a, 4g, 4o, 4p, 4r, 4s and 4w as the seven new antler restriction units for 2012.

Last edited by hung4wheeler; 03-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Spike

I think this will increase the number of quality deer in a few years, but does the NYS DEC really think that it will cut down on the number of deer taken overall. You are still going to have the same amount of deer taken because the DEC does not have enough officers out in the field to enforce the regulations. It is just going to have more deer not reported so the heard estimates will be way off.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully will not come to central and western NY.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

agree with above
Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

My state went to that a few ago. It really increased the age of our bucks, but I imagine a lot of spikes and forks either got left in the woods or smuggled out, mistaken for a doe or legal buck. I was against it at first, but then I saw what it did for our buck size, and I was OK with it. I am sure I've let some legal bucks walk because I could not confirm the 3rd point, but so be it.

Now I'm hearing talk of main-beam and width restrictions. I'll have to draw the line there. I feel like we gave the trophy hunters an inch, and now they're trying to take a yard. I'm in Arkansas, not Iowa. With some exceptions, we grow little bucks and we kill and eat them, and a lot of us are fine with that. Excuse the rant, but this emphasis on trophy bucks is starting to get to me.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

we have a width restriction here is DE for the "quality" buck tag...15" spread...

but, we also get a tag the is a "choice" tage and can be used for anything...

I would imagine eventually the choice tag will go away...and DE hunters will be limited to one buck per year someday
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can tolerate the point restrictions but main beam length and width? Not a chance. Like the one post above stated this sounds more like trophy management and not deer herd management. I hunt for the joy and pleasure of hunting. And when I get an opportunity to harvest a legal animal I will take it. I am not a trophy hunter by any means nor do I care to be.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Spike

Antler restrictions are a good thing and do work in the long run. herd reduction is the big issue in PA. Without the herd reduction, we would all be shooting big 6-12 points instead of spikes like yesteryear. With HR and AR we have big bucks, but not available to the masses. Soccer Moms, and Insurance industry are behind the HR. Ar is is a good thing.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hung4wheeler
Here are the new dmu's listed ... its not state wide but they added new zones

listed areas 3a, 4g, 4o, 4p, 4r, 4s and 4w as the seven new antler restriction units for 2012.
Not completely put down in stone yet but that is the rumor. 4O is the area I'm in. Not looking forward if they put in effect. Hard enough to get a buck now without having to count points being you drop the hammer on a deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.