Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Antler Restrictions in New York >

Antler Restrictions in New York

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Antler Restrictions in New York

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
I dont think the point restriction is trophy management, i think they are just finding a way to help the herd so you can enjoy many years of seeing deer in the woods. Before antler restrictions, people would shoot anything, and it really hurts the population. Now whats hurting us here is all the doe tags that are being given out in some areas where the population is so low, you could hunt from dawn to dusk and maybe see 2 deer.

Here in PA, while you are a junior license holder you may shoot anything you want, let it be a spike or a nice 6 point. My guess is so the younger hunters can really learn what its about and appreciate harvesting an animal, because on game lands you may not see a buck with 3 on one side if you just go out for opening day. I'm not sure if these rules still stand but they did a couple years ago.
Ok this is food for thought. I can see the point. But I also see the truth in schickster's point. I can see a lot of others just not reporting harvests... I have passed on young deer out of choice because in some areas I have grown use to seeing a lot of deer turn into dead zones so to speak. I have also seen two of my friends shoot buttons thinking they were doe. I think the actual herd estimates by the DEC are off. Way off in some areas. I know in one area that is almost a shoe-in for two does tags are one of those places that to me have become dead zones in the last two seasons. I passed on a spike there last year. But there are still places in the southern tier that some people find too much work to get in there deep and then have to drag a deer out. I guess the only big problem I see in NY right now is the people who are not reporting thier harvest......
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
These last two years are the first years I have seen an improvement since PA passed the antler restrictions. I am still seeing way less deer, but I am finally seeing the better bucks that were promised. I spent three days at the cabin this past weekend and did some scouting. I saw a ten point, an 8 point, three 6 points, a 4 point, and a spike. I also saw fifteen doe. This was seeing A LOT of deer compared to previous years. And a lot of legal buck. However, prior to the restrictions, I woulda seen well over a hundred deer in this time frame. Although it is doubtful I would have seen the 10 and 8 point. So yes, there are better bucks in the area now, Although, the deer numbers are way down. In PA the doe tags, as previously mentioned, is the main cause of this.
-Jake
i agree completely. as the years pass, each year im seeing more big bucks. The only places im seeing a lot of trouble with population is the big forests, like the allegheny national forest and the NC PA forests. Sucks cause those are my favorite places to hunt. i have been seeing about 5 deer on that first day the past 5 years of rifle up there so its not a deadzone. I remember my dad telling me if you saw less than 20-25 up there on the first day it was bad. this was between '70-'80
Old 08-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

When I was younger we'd go spotlighting and see a couple hundred deer a night. More than you could actually count. Last year my high for a night was 41. That's a big difference between fifteen years ago.
-Jake
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

I'm leaning toward being in favor of the AR's. I do believe in giving the herd a chance.I also have the patience and confidence to let a small deer walk. AR's will allow for more mature, smarter, and bigger bucks. I hone my skills, tactics, and ethics more every year so that I can "HUNT" the smartest deer! I highly doubt that any deer hunter doesn't want a crack at a giant! Well, that can't happen if they take the first little "legal' deer that comes by.
If someone's so concerned about "trophy management" and claims to shoot deer "just" for the meat, for one they're probably feeding you a line of bull. Secondly, why not just bite the bullet for a few years, give the little bucks time to grow, and let the AR's work. They'll see that it's a full circle. The bucks that walked by and were an inch short(that made them so mad) will be a "legal" deer next year. Right? In turn it will highten their hunting skills by making them go more than 20yds. off the road to get the smarter and more resilliant deer.
I apologize for my rantings and this was directed towards no one specific. They're just my views. We all have them and whether we agree or not, we all share the same passion which is hunting. Lets not overcomplicate it, It's just not that bad to get all worked up over. So try to relax and enjoy it!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Dont like the idea of it in the area I live and hunt in. Which is Delaware county (40) what really ticks me off is I went yesterday with bauddy of mine to get our licenses and tags for year. Am told and shown that my area is being awarded by points only. Being I had 3 points already thought had a good shot at getting my DMP. We both got denied for our DMPs and the next guy behind us with no points at all apllied for his so he can get the point for next year, is awarded his and gets 2 for our area. I own property 125 acres and cant even get a DMP permits way wrong here.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
Dont like the idea of it in the area I live and hunt in. Which is Delaware county (40) what really ticks me off is I went yesterday with bauddy of mine to get our licenses and tags for year. Am told and shown that my area is being awarded by points only. Being I had 3 points already thought had a good shot at getting my DMP. We both got denied for our DMPs and the next guy behind us with no points at all apllied for his so he can get the point for next year, is awarded his and gets 2 for our area. I own property 125 acres and cant even get a DMP permits way wrong here.
I hear ya' on the DMP issue!!! Been there! But, just think, if you had a farm on your 125 acres you'd probably be swimming in 2-300 nuisance permits!
I heard about some little piggies(feral hogs) down past Hancock! You see any?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I heard about some little piggies(feral hogs) down past Hancock! You see any?

I personally havent seen any yet down round there,but have seen where they have been tearing the ground up and really making a mess of things. Thats another thing that the DEC needs to figure out. They want us to shoot them if we see them, but dont go in woods to hunt them cause it will cause them to move.What is thinking behind that ?
My place was a farm 2 yrs ago when my brother and me ran it but we sold off everything cause of milk prices. We couldnt get any nuisance permits because DEC looked at our place and said we " Didnt have enough acres of land being damage by deer." well I think 80 acres of corn, and soybean being tore up should quailfy. Now we just have about 20 head of beef cows and the land we hay and sell off cept for what keep for our head.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

A guy near me has a 6acre pumpkin patch and about 16acre corn/soybean and has been getting over 100 nuisance permits(passing em' out like candy)! It really bugs me because he doesn't even eat em', just dumps em!!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yep I have heard of a guy who gets around 60 nuisance permits a year and he gives them to the Amish... They dont report the kills... they dont use phones... That is why I said the biggest problem is all the deer taken and not reported... forget the AR's....
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I can tolerate the point restrictions but main beam length and width? Not a chance.

Never been a big fan of antler restrictions. I don't see any biological reason for them. if someone wants to wait for a bigger buck, so be it. I would love to get a nice wall hanger, but I am fine with a fork horn or other if I need meat for the freezer. I am glad it's not in (hope it doesn't come to) 7M. The better biological scenario is the spread restriction (however very very hard to field judge - I'd have a real hard time). At least with the spread restriction you are taking a good buck or a cull buck. My point being, with antler restriction you have to let a scraggly fork, spike/fork, etc. (ie poor genetics) but you can load the truck with the nicest baskets 8 points you want. With that scenario, you are taking the best genetics out of the herd. If they were left for a year or 2 you'd have some real whompers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.