HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   northern new york (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/354450-northern-new-york.html)

Whitetailaddict13 11-27-2011 06:05 PM

northern new york

any guys from way up yonder like me? st lawrence county franklin county? how you guys done on the deer so far? i killed a basket 8 late october but its been slow as of late

TRACKER 11-27-2011 06:34 PM

Same up here in Northern Clinton County .
Havent seen a mature buck in all my days out or on camera .
Seen a tn of does and a couple very nice bucks last season .
This year its like they all vanished . Weather does have an affect but they still need to eat , breed , move ,,,????

Whitetailaddict13 11-27-2011 07:26 PM

yeah thats what i keep telling myself. they still gotta eat, theyll still be pursuing does despite the weather. but im just not seeing it

Canuck33 11-28-2011 08:20 AM

I hunt northern Franklin east of Malone we have a camp in the backcountry but now that I live in the fingerlakes area I hunt here most of the time. The deer up north have been scarce

BuckAlley 11-29-2011 11:42 AM

I Know Oswego County- 6k isn't as north as speaking. But the hunting sounds alot like same. I've seen 1 buck since I started 9/27 w/bow, and that went in my freezer for meat. Not the sign I usually see, some in selective areas. I also hunt Cortland Co. 7m, and see the sign there, but my trail cams mostly showing night time action. I personally think northern tier was hurt some by the winter, and alot of nice bucks were harvested last year. newzjunky was loaded w/pics for 2010 season. Plus this darn warm fall has hurt the movement across NYS. I thought I was off to a good start, but now I'm thankful I arrowed that small buck!

TRACKER 11-29-2011 06:20 PM

Only seen this little guy a couple times ..

4 Attachment(s)
I only seen this little guy a couple times and passed on him .
Neibor told me yesterday he had a small what he thought was a one horn crotch horn in his corn field , it looked like he was hobbling as he stated . Guess it was either hit by a car or shot ?
He like myself dosent take small bucks so they have a chance to grow but he figured it wouldnt make it threw the winter .
He shot the buck dropped them got up and jumped in some tall brush .
He went to his house ( 3 min. walk ) had a coffee and toast . Dressed lightly and set out to find it .
Well after 7 hrs and over 1000 yards he ran out of snow and never found him ..
Worse part for me it went across my land ( over 1800 feet ) then onto another neibors . Wish he would have called . He said he spotted it a couple times but never got a shot . Hope it wasnt the one I passed on .. Hate to loose and animal ...AARRGGHH..........

Bernie P. 11-30-2011 06:55 AM

I'm in Lewis co.Not much going on here either.The weather sucks.

Whitetailaddict13 11-30-2011 06:14 PM

drove a spot that last year we pushed 12 deer out of. jumped one small flat head. disappointing!!

crokit 12-01-2011 04:39 PM

I hunt the backcountry northern frank. around Big Fish, Lydia, Nellie & Bessie.We took a 10pt 125 class by Rocky's.

ButchA 12-02-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13 (Post 3882160)
any guys from way up yonder like me? st lawrence county franklin county? how you guys done on the deer so far? i killed a basket 8 late october but its been slow as of late

Wow... Small world...

Back in the 70's and 80's, my folks had a small cottage on a lake up there. Lake Ozonia. It was in between St. Regis Falls and Hopkinton or Nickolville, and bordered both Franklin County and St. Lawrence County.

I remember all the deer hunters back in the 70's camping out in small campers in the woods. Lots of deer and bear in the woods, but you had to go in deep to find them.

BTW, I graduated from Parishville-Hopkinton school back in 1979 and joined the US Coast Guard and moved away. I haven't been up to the Adirondacks in decades.... I imagine a lot has changed since then...