HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Question for Southern Zone NY hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/353385-question-southern-zone-ny-hunters.html)

dvallilee 11-13-2011 12:45 PM

Question for Southern Zone NY hunters

I'm wonder how your bow season has been going?Have you been seeing any bucks in rut?Have you seen any buck moving from about 10 to 3?I hunt Tioga and Chemung Couties most of the time.Anyway we have had alot of warm,windy weather and the deer movement has been very slow in the areas I've hunted.Early morning seems to be the best time.I got a doe early in the morning last Sunday but have not seen the deer # I normally do.Thanks

Charlie P 11-13-2011 02:02 PM

Been slow for me to, hunted broome, Tioga and Alleghany so far this year. Things were getting going in Alleghany about three weeks ago, went back up last week and saw almost no new sign.

Full moon, afternoon temps in the mid 60's and a couple mornings in the 50's have made it tough.

TRACKER 11-13-2011 09:18 PM

I hunt the Northern zone and have had very few deer sightings and sign this year ,
Also talked to many other hunters who have had the same results .Very few deer .
Last year I saw a ton of deer warm , windy, cold, or rain , This year is a total flop .
Going to Southern Tier opener end of this week , Hopefuly we will see some deer there ,
Heading down to Steuben County ...

ModernPrimitive 11-14-2011 09:14 AM

It's funny, i was just about to pose this question. I'm in 4u and it's been either quite a few deer sightings or none, no middle ground.
Obviously the weather has been a factor. Last night I put arrow in quiver and just sat...just before full dark the deer were plentiful. What do you do with that?
I am, AFAIK, the only pressure where I've been hunting & have tried to be gentle at that! Strangely, the shot opportunities for me have all been well inside 10 yds-that's too close for me not to get busted!
Food-apples have been hit hard; personally, I've seen little mast.
No chasing at all.
FWIW, I adhered to the solunar tables last week which indicated 3 star activity tues-thurs. Truthfully, of every day I've been out, on those 3 I saw less of everything birds,squirrels,etc. 0 deer...
I don't know, looking forward to blackpowder season here.

WNYhunter 11-14-2011 09:21 AM

I have seen plenty of little guys. And last week i saw a nice 10pt following a doe. but thats it, all the other bucks have been by themselves.

*twodogs* 11-14-2011 10:57 AM

Glad to see I am not alone. In the past in 7F, during the first three weeks of bow season, I normally see does all over the place and have one in the freezer. So far I have not seen one doe. I sat for 5 full days over the week and had three bucks come into me (between 8am-10am) but never got close enough for a shot. Seems the wind always swirled and twice I got busted and one time a coyote spooked the 6 pointer.

I am taking off this Thu/Fri off before gun hunting begins and deer start getting pushed. So far I have not seen any chasing nor much sign. This year has been very difficult - even more confusing since the DEC states deer populations are up.

NY 2 Tier 11-14-2011 06:00 PM

I have been experiencing the same as 3seasons; either you see a group, or nothing at all. I have not been seeing the signs like I used to, neither in 6N nor 4Z. It has been a difficult year to predict anything so far, hopefully this cold front moving in before the weekend will get things going for Saturday's opener. Good luck to everyone.

BuckAlley 11-17-2011 06:44 AM

Just got back last night from 6 days bowhunting in Cortland Co.. Seen couple nice bucks. 1 right near dark, 2nd at 8:45am. Few doe. Week prior on 11/6 I did see a nice buck running a doe all over, grunting like crazy. My brother saw the same buck the next day doing the samething. Saw couple smaller bucks alone that same wk, just wandering. As said the temps were too warm, swirling winds have made it tough. My younger brother arrowed a yearling buck the 13th, and his tarsals weren't even dark or smelly yet. My guess is all heck is going to break loose during gun season again. Seems last 3-4 yrs the major rut activity has occurred in my area during gun season.

TaggedOut 11-18-2011 03:32 PM

Were saw 9 different bucks last Saturday evening, down in this creek bottom where we hunt.
It was like a merry-go-round. 3, 8 pt's in the bean field at once, where my son sits.
Deer were everywhere.
Had a liitle 6, trying to mount a doe, up above, near a beechnut stand where I was sitting.
Hope similar happens tommorrow on the gun opener.:patriot: