Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Ny archery opener 9/27 >

Ny archery opener 9/27

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ny archery opener 9/27

Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ny archery opener 9/27

How are all you early archery hunters making out? I know weather has been way too warm, and kinda rainy. I saw nothing in am or pm for opener. But I got lucky, and scored on a small 3pt tonight to fill last yrs tag. He has like 8" beams, nothing big. He walked right down a trail to cross a creek, and head to some scrub apples. Sometimes my setups do work out! Fresh backstraps, on last yrs tag!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

way to go buckalley! I went out yesterday morning, saw one doe on the walk in and couldn't get a shot, and one button buck around 8ish. He walked right by at about 7 yards. I also went out last night, saw a momma and little one. Momma wasn't big enough for me. With this heat I didn't want to have to mess with her the next day. I'll be out again tomorrow, morning and night. We'll see what happens!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 AM
Spike

We're packing up now to head to camp for a few days, hopefully the rain will let up a bit. We've had nothing but does on the cams this year; maybe a cold front will change that. Good luck to everyone.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Fork Horn

Good job! WV doesn't open until Saturday, which should be great as the temperature is going to be cool both Saturday and Sunday, cool enough let a deer hang overnight. So I will be looking for a buck, but willing to take down a doe. Can't wait.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this heat, I hose them out with cool water to get cooled down. Hang them in the garage, keep doors closed, and pack the cavity with ice. This morning before work, I re-packed him with ice, and put plastic sheeting over it to keep the coldness in. I've never lost a deer doing that.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice... can't wait for southern zone opener...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

I, GOING TO TRY TO GET OUT TOMMOROW .
Work work work ugh ,,,,
Cant believe I havent been out yet , last dayy for early bow...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Spike

My son and I went out yesterday afternoon and today until sunset, and saw a doe and fawn about 100 yards out. Fairly new at northern zone hunting; any calls work this early in the season?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I met a guy down at the watering hole last Thursday who says he's had good luck using the Primos can call.I checked them out down at Herb Phillopsons last year.I though they were so quiet a deer would have to be in range to hear it so I didn't buy one.I might get one anyway after talking with this guy since they're only a few bucks.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

NY 2, only calls I've tried using this early in North is a fawn bleat to get a doe attention. Or some light grunts, and light rattling. I've seen young bucks sparing in August, feeling their oats. I wouldn't do any estrous can bleats. Setup near food sources. I actually find this time yr. little easier, than the Nov. Rut. Not that bowhunting is easy, but deer are little more predictable, and bucks can still be in bachelor groups. This yr. the beechnuts, hickory nuts, and apples are plentiful. If you happen to find some acorns it could be hot, as there are very few acorns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.